Solved! Laptop Broken Monitor - self-inflicted driver issue

Aug 23, 2019
Hi,

I have a Lenovo laptop that has a broken screen. I've been using an HDMI external monitor for a little bit. There was an AMD graphics card driver update that buggered things up.

So I did the stupidest thing and in device manager, I removed the driver like a twit, which of course stopped the external display from working completely immediately.

Since I can't use the built-in laptop screen, I cannot seem to fix the driver, as I'm flying blind. Any suggestions? Can a BIOs refresh help? Can this be done 'blind'? Other quick fix options?

Solution
Hi,

I have a Lenovo laptop that has a broken screen. I've been using an HDMI external monitor for a little bit. There was an AMD graphics card driver update that buggered things up.

So I did the stupidest thing and in device manager, I removed the driver like a twit, which of course stopped the external display from working completely immediately.

Since I can't use the built-in laptop screen, I cannot seem to fix the driver, as I'm flying blind. Any suggestions? Can a BIOs refresh help? Can this be done 'blind'? Other quick fix options?

BIOS won't help since the issue is in Windows. Unless you know exactly where to click and when, you need a working screen for this. There are some possible options but you probably won't...
Hi,

BIOS won't help since the issue is in Windows. Unless you know exactly where to click and when, you need a working screen for this. There are some possible options but you probably won't like it. New clean Windows setup, if you can see the BIOS screen on the external monitor to run the setup, that would enable the card again, although there is a pretty good chance you won't get a display on it without actually loading the correct drivers, so you are again stuck with out a screen.

Other option is to run the system on another OS like Linux, same way to install it, or boot off a USB drive.

Or get the screen fixed.

Solution