Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Hi. I'm planning on replacing my TV with a laptop [it's more practical in my opinion, having a second computer in case something happens to the first]. I'm looking at two laptops, one with Intel® Pentium® Processor N3710 (2M Cache, up to 2.56 GHz), the other with Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060 (2M Cache, up to 2.48 GHz). WikiChip says the Celeron is a dual core while the Pentium is a quad core. Is that going to be significantly noticeable if all the laptop is used for is watching [and possibly recording] TV or DVDs?

I plan on connecting the cable box with a Hauppauge PVR

Solution
The laptop won't have a HDMI In so you'll need one of those capture cards but I've heard no good feedback from them unless your willing to spend a few bucks for one. The CPU Of that laptop Isn't really going to have power for 1080P. They struggle a bit when it comes to 720p Playback so might be worth buying a second hand Dell latitude with an I5 CPU For the same price and those can handle more than what the ones your looking at can do and i can confirm they will playback video no lag because i use a Dell latitude d6420 for the same purpose.

Do a bit of research about it then do what's best for you but i would say those CPU's in that laptop don't really have much power.

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

Hi. I forgot to include in my original post that I would be connecting the cable box to the laptop with a Hauppauge PVR [I added that before seeing your reply]

Scott_130

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
The laptop won't have a HDMI In so you'll need one of those capture cards but I've heard no good feedback from them unless your willing to spend a few bucks for one. The CPU Of that laptop Isn't really going to have power for 1080P. They struggle a bit when it comes to 720p Playback so might be worth buying a second hand Dell latitude with an I5 CPU For the same price and those can handle more than what the ones your looking at can do and i can confirm they will playback video no lag because i use a Dell latitude d6420 for the same purpose.

Do a bit of research about it then do what's best for you but i would say those CPU's in that laptop don't really have much power.

Solution

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
You are better off getting an inexpensive TV.

The laptop won't make you mobile anyway as you will still need to connect to the cable box.

The laptops you picked are weak.

You'll also get a better picture.

mbroswag

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
Your best choice in my opinion is building a computer. You can build a good gaming computer for around 100-150 dollars. The laptops you are looking at are very slow. And I STRONGLY suggest not getting them. get a cheap monitor that supports 720p. You can go to goodwill they have a lot of them. But don't get those laptops. The CPU is too slow and your PC will have a hard time rendering the images. Here is a link to a pc build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX_y48RHiQ . Doing things on your own saves a lot of money and you get way better performance.