Laptop connect to LCD with HDMI , how do I connect my non hdmi receiver in order to get the surround sounds and not the LCD's

yanivro

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
hey guys , I'm having trouble with connecting my sound system to my LCD/Laptop

I've connected my Laptop to my LCD via an hdmi cable and the picture is more than great.

Problem is that I can't get sound from my surround system , I'm using Yamaha AV receiver RX-V557 and I just hear the sounds from my LCD speakers.

I do have a cable with the red and white jacks , but I'm not sure where to connect them...

Solution

That doesn't exist.

Now that said what is likely your problem that the sound doesn't work from the headphone is you need to disable digital audio. Right click on your volume control and open the "Volume Mixer" there should be a device called Digital or HDMI, you first want to try and mute that, then look for speakers/headphones and unmute it. If that does not work, then click on the actual Digital or HDMI device picture and in the properties window that comes up there is a selection on the bottom that says "Device Usage". Change that to "Disable". That should then activate your headphone jack.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... 1) You have to use a Analog Audio output from your TV to your Receiver Input... OR
2) Laptop Audio output to the receiver Audio input. (Tape,DVD,CD,SAT)

Typically you will have only a Stereo play back signal to your receiver, until you get a HDMI input capable one.

yanivro

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

thanks for the quick reply , but can you simple it for me? totally lost you there :D

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
You can use the laptop's built in 3.5mm headphone jack as output and just get an adapter like this here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882196069&cm_re=3.5mm_to_rca-_-82-196-069-_-Product to go from 3.5mm to RCA. And then just use stuff like stereo expansion to simulate surround sound.

Bottom line is that your best audio from laptop to receiver will be stereo, but a stereo expansion program can simulate surround sound through a stereo connection. It's a primitive form of artificial surround sound, but it's better than just stereo.

yanivro

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I do have the 3.5 jacks ( red and white ) tried to connect from the sounds jack of the laptop to the back of the reciver in any output there is , still no sound..

yanivro

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I got few HDMI ports (where I connected my laptop to in order to get the picture) and I got the rca one (yellow , red and white Jacks)

yanivro

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I'm lost argh , been trying to set this for a while , I have a TLC LCD, not sure what model exactly.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Heres the problem, lot of misconceptions here.

First off the only way you will get surround sound out of that laptop is if you connect the HDMI out to a HDMI Surround receiver, and then out via HDMI to the TV. The receiver you have is not HDMI so you can't do that. If the laptop had an optical or coax digital out you could do it, but I am 100% sure it doesn't, so thats out as well.

The best you can expect is stereo sound, this can happen in a couple ways, 1 is to use a RCA Y adaptor from the laptops headphone jack to a red and white input on the reciever

stereo-headphone-3-5mm-plug-to-dual-rca-plugs-y-adapter-splitter-cable-10.jpg

The other is to look for an optical or RCA out from the TV to the receiver. This will give you stereo sound only, but it will work. There are no TVs out there that provide HDMI surround sound pass through, so it will not work in surround sound this way, but it will at least, give you sound.

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

That's pretty much the exact same item I linked from Newegg, And I would run it straight from the output on the laptop to one of the inputs on the receiver, then be sure that the receiver is set to the correct input.

yanivro

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Hey thanks , I do have the same cable , again , tried to connect to any audio input at the receiver , still no sounds at all , just from the tv itself.

yanivro

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

well , that's what I've been trying to do before I came to post here , tried any Red and white inputs and no sound at all , even when I try to put the right input at the settings .

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

That doesn't exist.

Now that said what is likely your problem that the sound doesn't work from the headphone is you need to disable digital audio. Right click on your volume control and open the "Volume Mixer" there should be a device called Digital or HDMI, you first want to try and mute that, then look for speakers/headphones and unmute it. If that does not work, then click on the actual Digital or HDMI device picture and in the properties window that comes up there is a selection on the bottom that says "Device Usage". Change that to "Disable". That should then activate your headphone jack.

Solution

lakimens

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Everyone told you to get a 3.5mm to RCA cable, but they failed to mention that you have to put your reciever in AUX mode, meaning it will get the signal from the AUX port and not from the CD/DVD.