Laptop cover stripped screw hole

Miton77

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
I'm having problems with the screw hole near the power jack on my lenovo laptop. Screws will fit in everywhere else on the laptop case except for here. Unfortunately, stress from the laptop screen's hinges is pulling the two sections of my laptop's case apart, and is also starting to pull the power jack out of place. I'm not sure if super glue or epoxy added to the screw hole is a good idea; would that be enough to keep the upper and lower sections of the case together, and would I be able to replace the screw later on if not? Are there any other good options for keeping a screw in a stripped hole, like specialized screws I can buy, or is gluing the two parts of the laptop case effective enough to keep them together even with strain from the laptop screen's hinges? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Lutfij

Splendid
From the looks of things, the case for your laptop(unknown SKU/make and model) is made of plastic and is one of the many reasons that screw mounts are stripped or broken. You could have a daisy chain of zipties run across the width of the laptop and help hold the case where it's splitting apart in check but mind you will have to carefully tighten the noose for the cable tie after it's been seated at the place where the case is splitting.

If you travel with this mobile computing device, then it's highly probably that you try and find a replacement for your laptop which you can carry around since any more back and forth of the hinge and it might just come off the chassis and even worse, damage it beyond repair.

To answer your question, no epoxy's won't hold and even if it did, the chassis being flimsy will give way in another part of the chassis.

Mind sharing the make and model of your laptop and a picture of the issue to get a better grip? I've been assuming things and posted accordingly.

Miton77

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
Thank you for the advice. The laptop is a Lenovo G50 thinkpad, and the power jack/hinge looks like this (sorry for the poor quality):

2hygigp.jpg

I've been told that applying hot glue along most of the left hinge might work. Is this a possible option?