Solved! Laptop crashing due to graphics driver when playing videos

Jan 9, 2019
My laptop has begun crashing when playing any kind of video (youtube, lecture capture, Netflix, etc.). When a video begins playing the laptop freezes, then the screen turns white and it restarts (and sometimes the screen is multicoloured before restarting). After searching for a solution on forums I tried disabling the graphics drivers (AMD radeon vega 8 mobile graphics) and this seemed to stop my laptop crashing. I also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the graphics drivers as was suggested. Nothing has helped, the only thing I can do is watch videos with graphics drivers disabled but this isn't ideal. Please help. Also, I have a very limited knowledge or understanding of laptops.

Solution
Sounds like your GPU is the problem and the integrated graphics are what is being used instead (when you remove the driver for the other). I would suggest you try monitoring the temps and see if it is perhaps overheating. If that is the case, then you need to get the temps down before the GPU is totally shot and needs replacing.

Now if the device is under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer and have them repair it.
Sounds like your GPU is the problem and the integrated graphics are what is being used instead (when you remove the driver for the other). I would suggest you try monitoring the temps and see if it is perhaps overheating. If that is the case, then you need to get the temps down before the GPU is totally shot and needs replacing.

Now if the device is under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer and have them repair it.

Solution