ryanfranzese

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Hi, I'll give a brief at the top and a longer explanation below:

So in short, I have a desktop that I have built with i5-6500, RX 480 CrossfireX, and 16GB with SSD & HDD. I will be going to college for Sport Management next year (Fall 2018) and I don't think I will bring my desktop. I think my solution will be to buy a nicer laptop to bring with me to school, for mobility and such.

Do you have any suggestions for a laptop that's not a super heavy 15lb 5" thick but can still game and run heavier programs like basic video editors? I like games like BF4, ARMA III, and Sniper Elite type things. But I want a versatile laptop with DECENT battery life for school and play. Suggestions?

LONGER EXPLANATION/IDEAS

So I have a desktop that I have spent quite a bit on, has MSI SLI board, i5-6500, 2 MSI GAMING RX 480 in a CrossfireX, 16GB Memory, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Liquid Cooling, 700W PSU, 27in Monitor. This thing is a monster and I don't think I can really take it to college. I also have a cheap, $300 Lenovo laptop with an i3 4200u and nothing special. It won't do me in college.

What I like to do
I like to 1) play games like BF4, ARMA III, Sniper Elite 2) run microsoft office/google drive stuff 3) occasionally do some video editing in Pinnacle type programs.

What I know I need
I know I need a regular size 14-16 inch laptop. I NEED THE BATTERY LIFE TO BE DECENT.
I MUST BE ABLE TO TAKE IT TO CLASS, NOT PLUGGING IN EVERY HOUR
I need an SSD under 500GB. Something with either a super strong APU or a powerful processor with dedicated graphics. 8GB Memory Minimum, I'd buy more if it were only 8, I want 16. Decent screen 1920X1080 or better, but I don't need a 4k type screen. 2-4 years of future proofing for gaming (and I don't expect to be running everything full strength, especially down the road, console quality in 3 years is a-ok with me.) Windows 10, duh, future-proofing. I need something durable, well built, and not flimsy.

Not necessary
I don't need super amounts of storage. 256 would be small, doable, but small. I don't need anything above 500 though, although it wouldn't hurt. I don't need a DVD drive. I don't need to run everything on Ultra, but I'd like a good experience.

My idea
So here's my thought. Maybe sell my big PC next summer, before school starts to fund my laptop. I plan to have a desk in my dorm/apartment and here's where I'm open to your guys's thoughts: Have a desk with a spot to plug in an Ethernet cord, my 27in monitor, and speakers with sub woofer. And just then plug and play/work with the laptop. Maybe I'd break down and buy some headphones (ugh, I like speakers). If I spend over 1000, which I know I will, I'm going to buy insurance for the laptop, so well built is still necessary, but I don't want to carry a power-sucking brick.

So what's your opinion?
I'm totally new to gaming laptops, I know generally they suck power, are really hot, and don't perform like desktops...I don't expect it to. So for those of you who know, what's your suggestion for my situation?? I don't want to be a console person, because I can't use the console to write papers or do spreadsheets!

THANKS FOR READING AND FOR YOUR THOUGHTS!

Solution
If you are not starting college until Fall 2018, then there is no need to look for a laptop now because there will be new laptops next year. Nvidia's next generation GPU architecture is Volta; there is no information as to when it will be released, but it will probably be next year or perhaps late this year. There are not even any rumors as to how much more powerful Volta will be compared to Pascal.

You have around a year to decide if you want to sell your desktop to raise money for your laptop. If you have an after school part-time job, then my advice is to start saving up money now and simply wait until next year to buy whatever laptop you can afford. Generally, speaking if you are looking for a powerful gaming laptop, then I...
If you are not starting college until Fall 2018, then there is no need to look for a laptop now because there will be new laptops next year. Nvidia's next generation GPU architecture is Volta; there is no information as to when it will be released, but it will probably be next year or perhaps late this year. There are not even any rumors as to how much more powerful Volta will be compared to Pascal.

You have around a year to decide if you want to sell your desktop to raise money for your laptop. If you have an after school part-time job, then my advice is to start saving up money now and simply wait until next year to buy whatever laptop you can afford. Generally, speaking if you are looking for a powerful gaming laptop, then I recommend saving up at least $1,400; a lot more if you want something that is also thin.

Solution