iamaboy1234

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I have a HP Compaq Presario CQ42-177TX
had it for 2 and a half years now and abt a month ago, it randomly goes black screenand sometimes turning on the laptop results in black screen only.... but it seems to work if i plug into a monitor through the vga adapter.....

tried to reformat, updating drivers, problem persist, gave up for some time, black screen gets more often.... at one point laptop monitor just wont show anything...(i know this sounds stupid) i removed the laptop monitor and hooked it up to a desktop monitor..

reformatted the laptop, everything seems fine until i install the graphic drivers, reboot, then BSOD(blue screen) happened, tried disabling graphic card, laptop starts up fine....

processor: i5-430M (thrs no intergrated graphics)
graphics card: ATI Raedon HD 5430 (soldered onto the motherboard)

I removed the monitor in thought that it was the monitor malfunctioning, maybe it was the graphic card? or am i missing something?

If the problem is on the graphic card, then this laptop is quite useless as there's no graphic, even playing solitaire is literally impossible, can't even move the cards smoothly..

So my final question is : Is the graphic card dead? if it is, is there any workaround?