Laptop keeps shutting down

ovidiutaralesca

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hello! My father disassembled his laptop today to clear the dust. It went well, he cleaned it with alcohol. He did not touch the cooler, he only took the fan off and blew the dust built within.
When he powers his laptop up, after the Windows 7 logo, the laptop shuts down. This makes me think of CPU overheating, but it doesn't really make sense since he did not remove the cooler.

He managed to boot in Safe Mode, but after he attempted to use HP Recovery Manager to restore the laptop to factory settings (the restoration failed somehow), he gets an error message in Safe Mode saying that the computer has gone through an incomplete restoration.
Could it be the Hard Drive?

Unfortunately, there is no computer service anywhere near him, that's why he did this by himself. He had cleaned the same laptop a few times before and everything was fine. I'd be glad if someone could help me.

The laptop is a HP Pavilion G7.

Solution
hp win7 32bit drivers link. http://hpnotebookdrivers.com/hp-pavilion-g7-1260us-notebook-pc-windows-7-32-bit-drivers/

ovidiutaralesca

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

He did, the fan starts spinning. I am sure it is something he did, but I have no idea what.

prtaylorwichita

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Does it give any diagnostic info when booting or is it simply an HP Splash Screen? There are so many things that could cause the issue including RAM or other hardware if they are not seated properly. It is possible that a static discharge damaged a memory module.

Creating a boot USB drive with MemTest86 might be a good test for RAM errors and basic CPU and memory functionality. Or you could use a USB bootable version DSL Linux. If the system can not even boot to a MemTest86 boot USB drive or DSL Linux, then you may have a more serious issue. If either of these work then your problem may be with the hard drive.

ovidiutaralesca

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
It worked, but only once, which is strange. Now when he tries to install a new copy of windows, Copying Windows Files goes from 0% to 100% instantly, and then gets stuck on Expanding Windows files at 0%.

ovidiutaralesca

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
@ffg7 I will try that.

In fact, he managed to install Windows 7 trial. This is pretty strange because it pretty much rules out hardware problems I guess. Now he tries to restore the factory settings with HP Recovery Manager to get the drivers and genuine Windows installed. I'll keep the thread updated.

prtaylorwichita

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

It does not completely rule out a hardware issue as it could be an intermittent issue with something that is failing, temperature is often the key factor on memory, CPU, and chipset components. But it is certainly more promising if it was able to compete a trial Win 7 install as opposed to failing during the process.

ovidiutaralesca

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
He managed to install Windows 7 x86. He had no x64 disk, but that is fine for the moment. The thing is: when he installs his AMD video drivers( only x64 drivers are available), the laptop shuts down after Starting Windows phase, like I described in the main post.
I cleaned up his drivers with some software and the laptop now works, even though he has no video drivers (he only surfs the internet).
As for tests, HDD health is OK except for temperature (it runs at 50C which is quite high I think), no bad sectors. CPU temp peaks at 85C after one hour in Prime95 at 100%.

I don't get it, is the driver causing the problem? If so, why did the problem occur only after he disassembled the system?