Laptop Problem. Turns on, black screen, fan tries to spin then stops, shuts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin920

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hi all,

I have a Sparq M53S gaming laptop (made in Korea). It's just as I said in the title.

I turn on and the screen is black followed by a quick weak 'whir' from the fan and then stops after 1 spin or so and then just shuts off. SOMETIMES it would start up (screen shows) and then shut down. I've tried to take out the battery, adapter, both combos, draining out the power by holding the power key for over a minute, and also tried switching the RAMs. NOTHING.

Anyone know a troubleshoot for this?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Kevin920

Many times, this type of issue can be resolved by clearing/resetting the CMOS. However, since this is not easy to do in laptops, here is what you can try:

> Power off your laptop and take out its battery.

> Disassemble the back cover of your laptop.

> Locate the CMOS battery. (A CMOS battery looks like that used in a wrist watch but is bigger in size.)

> Take the CMOS battery out and leave the laptop alone for 15-20 minutes. (This would change the custom BIOS settings of the motherboard and you will have to reconfigure them as per your preferences.)

> Place the battery back in its socket and try turning the laptop on.

> If the issue persists, you can try turning the laptop on without the CMOS battery.

> If the laptop boots successfully, replacing the CMOS battery with a new one would rectify the problem permanently. (A CMOS battery is cheap in price and can be bought from any retail shop in your local computer market or online.)

Let me know if this works. Good Luck!!

Kevin920

Estimable
May 27, 2015

Hi Viveknayyar007,

Thanks for your reply! I've tried all your steps, but still does has the same exact symptoms, with or without the CMOS battery...Would you have any other ideas as to what the problem would be?

Hello again Kevin920

Can you arrange a CMOS battery? I ask this because buying a new one (even if it is for $1 or $2 would make no sense.

If you can arrange another working laptop from any of your friends or colleagues, you can use the CMOS battery from the other laptop in yours and see if it brings your laptop back to life.

Good Luck!!

Kevin920

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hey viveknayyar007,

I shall try that. I would have no problem buying a bare battery. However, my cmos battery has the rubber shrink wrap and the wires that connect to the board and the lowest price i found was like 8 dollars online and didnt want to wait for it either. But i will try to get my hands on and let you know! Thanks again!!

Kevin920

Estimable
May 27, 2015

So, I've tried taking the cmos out of my brother's laptop and connected to mine and still same thing. It turns on (with black screen), the fan tries to spin (it spins weak) and then shuts off after about 5 seconds...

Status
Not open for further replies.