Laptop randomly shutting down

Oct 24, 2018
Hi guys,

For the last 2 months my 2 year old laptop has been shutting down for no reason.
This occurs while I'm browsing through YouTube or playing browser games like shellshock.io
I'm unable to play games like League of legends > my laptop simply shuts down.
But this doesn't happen with a game like Tekken 7.

There are no virusses, scheduled tasks, and I have also unchecked the "automatic restart" in advanced settings...

I have also noticed that my Core VID jumps from ~1.150V to 0.75V (max~ 1.350V. Min~ 0.65V)
Could my laptop battery be dying or is my charging brick not working properly?

I would like to hear your solutions!

Laptop specs: Asus ROG GL502VT
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
RAM: 16 GB@2133Mhz
SSD: NVMe Samsung MZVPV 265GB
GPU: GTX 970M

Drivers updated

Solution

Thermal paste can degrade over time. If the laptop has the thermal compound from factory (Asus), it may be time to clean it off and reapply new paste - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, GC Gelid Extreme, and IC Diamond are good options.

Worst case is this is an electrical issue, in which case the motherboard may need to be serviced or replaced. Going by your screenshot, though, it looks like the CPU is running pretty hot.

Thermal paste can degrade over time. If the laptop has the thermal compound from factory (Asus), it may be time to clean it off and reapply new paste - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, GC Gelid Extreme, and IC Diamond are good options.

Worst case is this is an electrical issue, in which case the motherboard may need to be serviced or replaced. Going by your screenshot, though, it looks like the CPU is running pretty hot.

Solution
Oct 24, 2018
I just checked my laptop with Core Temp and yes.. my laptop is definitely overheating.
There is no dust in my laptop and both fans are working perfectly fine.

Anything else I can do to reduce overheating?

Oct 24, 2018

Things aren't looking that good for my CPU.
I'll have to try that out.. thank you!
How comes nothing happens when I'm playing Tekken 7 though?

Different screenshot below.

https://gyazo.com/97c356698f1fa4d27a6e6fa71fed87c9