Laptop screen image shakes and wraps. Stops when Windows loads and DC disconnected

kevpatts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Laptop is a Samsung FS410. I've taken a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhVg0HQEKik

Some other things to note:
1. Skakes like this during POST messages (i.e. not a software issue).
2. If external display connected nothing shows on either laptop or ext display. Laptop has to be hard rebooted to work again.
3. Screen doesn't come back on after suspend.
4. Power cable replaced a few months ago with generic cable but same specs (19V, 3.16A). Unknown if the issue started at the same time.
5. Laptop originally had 4Gb RAM, now only has 1Gb.

The fact that it startes working only when Windows is booted and DC is removed implies to me that this is falling back from the performance graphics mode (not working) to battery saving mode (which is working).

I know this is probably a hardware failure, so would only be truely fixed with an MB replacement, but is there any workaround? I've tried forcing nVidia control panel to use "Integrated Adapter" but it seemingly doesn't change anything.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Honestly this could be software. Drivers gone bad, files are corrupt, I have seen several issues like this on laptops fixed by reinstalling windows.

My second idea would be that shielding between parts has been moved some how causing lots of interference. That could easily explain all of the problems. Your best chance though is it reinstall windows. Worst comes to worst, you know for sure its hardware. The second thing to try is a different power cable or a new motherboard. Really there isn't a ton of possible fixes for what you are describing in a laptop. Sorry can't be more help.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
looks like your getting dirty power. either the psu/power brick is faulting or the motherboards power delivery is wobbling. you will need an electronics engineer to tell you exactly what the issue is...

kevpatts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006

This was selected as the best solution but it is definitely not the solution.

As the problem happens during POST it cannot be a software issue, I made that clear. Possibly a shielding issue but I doubt it as the machine had never been opened before I opened it. More likely a failed graphics card/chipset.

Also this response didn't address the actual question I asked at the bottom of my post.

Kari

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

I unselected it since 'solved' threads don't usually attract much viewers.

It sure does look like some hardware problem in the power circuitry... Maybe the new generic power brick isn't outputting stable/clean voltage or it has grounding issues. Quite interesting nevertheless, I've never seen anything like that before :)

IInuyasha74

Honorable

I would say someone just picked my solution as best because it was the best of what was available. You hadn't posted on this thread since August so its understandable someone thought it had resolved your issue.

As for you saying my solution doesn't address seemingly any part of the issue, you are not thinking of the larger picture. There is a very good chance that your Nvidia graphics chip is bad and that your systems motherboard will need replaced to fix it since the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard. I offered the only possible alternatives from buying a new motherboard or an entirely new laptop.

You can attempt to add more shielding to protect the GPU and other circuits encase the new power supply is causing issues. If the voltage is slightly higher it might of fried the GPU, but it could just be interfering with its ability to function. More shielding is a valid attempt to resolve the problem. Switching to a non-generic power supply might also fix the issue.

Also you might have changed settings in the Nvidia Control Panel forever ago and don't remember it that is causing an issue with attempting trying to only use the integrated graphics. Doing a clean install will reset all of these settings and will make it more likely that forcing Integrated Adapter will be successful.

Finally, if its a GPU that uses Nvidia Optimus and doesn't have its own dedicated video ports, then removing all of the Nvidia software will render the Nvidia chip non-functioning and thus again force you to use the integrated graphics.

It may not fix your problems, and you very well have partially fried the Nvidia chip and need to get a new system, but since it only takes like an hour to reinstall Windows and all of the drivers it certainly seems the best idea to salvage this system.