Laptop shows CPU temperature 100℃ even though it doesnt feel hot at all when touched!!

Greyfalcon

Estimable
May 10, 2015
Hi!

Recently I had RMA'd my laptop and they replaced my keyboard, hdd and motherboard. But since then my laptop shuts down anytime I open any software or run almost ANYTHING! When I checked my cpu temp with HWinfo it showed around 60-70℃ at idle and the moment I run anything the temperature shoots up to 100℃ and the laptop shuts itself down.

The confusing part is that the air coming out through the exhaust fan doesn't feel hot at all. Not even warm! I opened the back cover and touched the tubes connecting the fan and even they don't feel hot. And the temperature shoots up so quickly! Like within 5 seconds! How can anything get so hot so quickly!

I returned the laptop and the guys at the service center are having a hard time figuring out whats wrong. Its been over a month now since they've had it and they are saying they need to get a similar laptop now to figure out whats wrong.....

Has anyone else experienced something like this before? Any idea what might be causing this problem??

Thanks

Greyfalcon

Estimable
May 10, 2015

Well the laptop is just 1 year old. And the CPU was working fine before they replaced the motherboard.

Mar 15, 2018
I am highly suspicious that when the laptop MB was replaced, they did not do a proper CPU heat sink interface. Be it the thermal paste, the gap between, or the fan not being connected, there is no way of knowing. But that's the first place to look.