Laptop shuts down after a few seconds (no image shown)

Kronnos

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Hello all, and I apologize in advance if I'm not posting this on the right thread.

I have a Sony vaio VPCCB2Z8E (from 2011) with the following specs:

Chipset Intel® HM65 Express
Intel® Core™ i7-2620QM
8gb ram ddr3

Being and old laptop I know maintenance has to be on point and I noticed I was having extremely high temps while gaming (around 90° and 70° idle) so I decided it was time to open it up, clean the fan, remove the dust and change the thermal paste.

Everything went well, bought a good thermal paste, compressed air and an isopropyl alcohol to clean the the old paste.

After reassembling and turning the laptop it shut down after 3 secs with a clicking sound coming from the hard drive. Thinking I maybe screwed the drive I switched it with another and the same happened. Tried without a drive and the same happened. The problem, I think, is not in the drive.

Did I screw up plugging anything on? Maybe the fan? Reassembled everything and the same happened (the fan works I feel the cold air coming out during the 3 secs)

tried to dissipate the electrical charge (removing battery and power source and pressing the on button for 30secs-1min). The same happens.

That leaves Ram or board. Removed the RAM cleaned the sockets with compressed air and re-inserted. The same.

Removed board power for 30secs. The same happened.

It was working fine before the disassembly, I didn't spill (neither did I have liquids near) anything on the board. I didn't loose screws so there's nothing causing an electrical discharge.

I'm no expert that's why I turn to you guys, I've read a lot about this and mostly is a Ram problem or anything regarding a malfunctioning usb. I feel like the pc is going to start normally and the power fails randomly.

What can/should I do to try and identify the problem? I didn't remove either the cpu or gpu from its places

Thanks in advance, kinda desperate here, a diagnosis alone costs around 90€ (its free only if I agree to go forward with the repairing, bah)

Solution
There is almost no way to check what the issue is without being there to take apart and re-build the laptop, you already checked things over. Going by the fact that it was working before you took it apart, either something broke or is not hooked up properly.
There is almost no way to check what the issue is without being there to take apart and re-build the laptop, you already checked things over. Going by the fact that it was working before you took it apart, either something broke or is not hooked up properly.

Solution