laptop...whats best company

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
aright i really dont like IBMs i know theyre good but i just cant deal with them...and my friend has a 1gb stick he'll sell to me but it wont be the same type as the one in the HP (i dont think it will be a problem)...i want it to run cool and quiet, even if it doesnt play warcraft 3 well, because i go to boarding school and dont play it much at all...also i looked at the lifebooks and they seem a little expensive for what they are...maybe it was the site i was looking from but hp is still the best i can find for the price, and they are reliable enough. however, im still flexible with this situation so if you show me (give me link) a good laptop thatd be great

DeadeyeLefty

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Another vote for Acer. Battery life isn't as good as some of the others, but that's upgradeable, as is the 512 Mb mine came with. Those are my only two complaints...maybe if I gamed more I'd want to replace the video card, but it's fine for movies...

I got it about a year ago with an intel 1.6 Ghz, 80 Gb HDD, 512Mb Ram,XP Pro, 15.4"screen, onboard wireless, 3 USB ports, line in,line out, and mic in jacks. It was about $1000 (Can) by the time the smoke cleared. I expect you could get a pretty sweet acer for your budget. At the time I was looking mine was the most bang for the buck.

reader850

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001
I agree, Acer is very good for its price. My first choice would be to try to configure a Lenovo with a decent video card. My family has one Acer, 2 Lenovos, and a compact lightweight Sony, all a year or less old. We like them all, but they aren't used for gaming.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Actually, one of the best laptop brands out there is Fujitsu. They cost quite a bit though. I personally go with whatever is cheapest, especially for what you want to do with the laptop. The single most important thing is the battery size (watt/hr). I know HP laptops can be purchased with an double-capacity battery, giving you around 8 hours of use, so their models may be more appealing to you.

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
My laptop model is an N3530; came with a T2250 but I bought a T2600 from ebay for around $300 back then and replace it with ( and use the T2250 to power my desktop on the Aopen board, running @ 3.0+ghz now and it is smoking + low energy usage + super cool running). It has an X1400 for the GPU, Sata password protected 5400rpm 120 gig HDD, and all the other bells and whistles ( DVD+-R, Memory card readers, bluetooth,...etc.) I am using it to play WOW @ its screen max resolution (1440X900) and it is doing great. Don't get me wrong, the graphic power of the X1400 is no where near my desktop's oced X850PE ( and this one is getting old, I need a new video card ), but it does live up to your expectation.
I don't know the exact model of my friend's Lifebook but it came with the new Merom chip, using the 950G for graphic. Everything on his looks a little better than mine ( finger print reader, casing...) except for his sound ( mine has the best sound, even better than HP's ). I don't know if it was because he's running Vista and sound driver Vista is still screwy. Also, I tried WOW on his laptop and it seems somewhat slower than mine; could be because of both Vista and the 950G.
But seriously, if you are shopping for a new laptop, I got a few tips for you from my personal expiriences.
-If you are looking for the absolute best bang for the buck, please do go for whatever cheapest brand you can find.
-If you are looking to buy it for gaming power ( and ignore the battery life, the weight, size which you will have to carry around ) pick the one with the best GPU. My X1400 will play most of the games out right now, but you will have to turn down most of eye candies. Get the X1600 or the Go7600 if you are medium into gaming only and use your laptop for other stuffs. GPU can not be upgraded, so pick the one that suits your need.
-Casing is also not upgradable and Fujitsu has the best, tough, beautiful and high quality. I haven't seen the Tough Book yet, so best is probably over rated :D
- Screen is not upgradable ( and probably is the deciding factor for the laptop price nowaday ) The Toshiba Qosmio has a very good screen but the Fujitsu's screen will best it by a good margin. I believe Fujitsu also makes screen for Sony laptop too, so you can look at a Sony for comparison. Most people overlook the screen feature, but think about it, it is probably the only thing that you will look at while using your laptop.
- CPU is most likely upradable, so don't worry it about it too much.
- Memory is upgradable and it is cheaper to get it from somewhere else, not from the manufacturer
- HDD is upgradable
- Look for the one that doesn't have the heat vent blowing out on the side of of it, because it is annoying to have your hand heat up while using the laptop with a mouse ( Acers, HP always do this )
-The Fujitsu has no air vents whatsoever on the bottom of the laptop, which is a big plus. Now, you can use it on any surface without worrying about blocking the air flows.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
HP's business line is quite on par with Lenevo's (i.e., Thinkpads) in most respects, and often for the same price or cheaper for being better equipped.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
aright i also found this computer...cheaper but relatively the same (budget went down to around 1300) its a fujitsu lifebook A6020
LifeBook A6020 Notebook

• Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
• Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with
Microsoft® Works and
Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (60-Day Trial)
• 15.4" Color-enhanced Crystal View WXGA display
• 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM memory
(1 GB x 2)
• 120 GB P-ATA, 4200 rpm hard drive1 with Shock Sensor protection
• Dual-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer
• Integrated Fingerprint Sensor (also works as Scroll Button)
• Multinational2 56K3 V.90 modem and Gigabit Ethernet LAN
• Integrated Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (802.11a/b/g)
• Integrated Bluetooth wireless
• 5 USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Memory Stick®/SD/xD slot, PC Card slot, ExpressCard™ slot
• Main battery: Lithium ion (6-cell, 10.8V, 4000 mAh, 43.2 WHr); rated up to 2.75 hours4
• Standard spill-resistant keyboard
• Remote Control for Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
• One-year International Limited Warranty
• M-code: FPCM32021

PRICE 1,249

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I often take contracts that last 3-12 months, and with each contract, I generally get issued a new laptop, so I've been through quite a few.

I usually get a Dell, but I've also gotten Sonys and HP's on occasion. I think the most important thing to remember is that the laptop isn't always as good as it seems on paper.

In short, I had an HP DV-series laptop that was 1/2 the cost of a Vaio "Mobile Workstation" and was much, much faster. They both had similar specs (in-fact, the Vaio had slightly higher specs).

Dells are simply garbage nowadays: especially their laptops. They're PAINFULLY slow. The sonys are all-bark-and-no-bite. They look nice, but they're really slow and overpriced. It's a real shame, too.

I highly recommend HP, only because the ones I've used have always performed really well under some pretty heavy workloads, even if the specs were less than other laptops I'd used.

Other than that, unless you can choose the model of the hard drive, get a cheap one and replace it with something you get aftermarket. The hard drives and RAM are both high-margin items with regards to laptops. For example, the Dell laptop I'm on now cost > $1,000 to put an extra 1 GB of RAM into, and that was after "corporate discount." (Dell latitude 610, about 3 mos. ago).

Laptop hard drives are really slow, so make sure you get a good one when you drop the cash. Make sure you compare prices on newegg.com when "Upgrading" modular components, too. You can usually get them cheaper aftermarket without voiding your warranty.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
120 GB P-ATA, 4200 rpm hard drive1 with Shock Sensor protection

Your laptop will be the recipient of a brutal beating after about 10 minutes of use with this HDD :)

You're definately going to want a 7200RPM drive. If you need storage space, it's a better idea to buy an external HD.

There are few things you'll notice more than the speed of your hard drive. One thing about laptops is that you turn them on and off a lot. This means you'll be loading windows a lot (or coming out of hibernation), both of which willl go painfully slow with a slow HD. (There's always STR, but that never works well).

AFor example, a 100GB 7200 RPM drive is $100 on newegg. 2GB so-DIMM DDR2 is also $100. Check those against what you're paying to upgrade the base model to what you have spec'd. I like to have a spare drive for my laptop. Dual-boot is not-so-nice on a laptop, so I like to swap out my drives when I need to switch to/from Linux.

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
You're definately going to want a 7200RPM drive. If you need storage space, it's a better idea to buy an external HD.
I strongly disagree with that statement. It really depends on the person who use the laptop for what need. Remember, the faster the drive spins, the faster your battery will get drained! Again, buy what meets your needs. I found that my 5400rpm is edaquate enough to play WOW, and WOW has a lot of loadings. And about the time it takes to boot windows, my laptop is only a few seconds (4-5 seconds most) slower than my 2 drives raid 0 desktop. I can live with that 4-5 seconds slower. Then again, there are laptops out there that offer raid 0 configuration and 17" screen but weight so much more, I forgot that they were still considered a portable computer type.
Windows Vista also offers instant boot feature using high performance usb flash drives. I haven't tried it yet, but may be someone who had can give some advices.

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
aright i also found this computer...cheaper but relatively the same (budget went down to around 1300) its a fujitsu lifebook A6020
LifeBook A6020 Notebook

• Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
• Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with
Microsoft® Works and
Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (60-Day Trial)
• 15.4" Color-enhanced Crystal View WXGA display
• 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM memory
(1 GB x 2)
• 120 GB P-ATA, 4200 rpm hard drive1 with Shock Sensor protection
• Dual-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer
• Integrated Fingerprint Sensor (also works as Scroll Button)
• Multinational2 56K3 V.90 modem and Gigabit Ethernet LAN
• Integrated Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (802.11a/b/g)
• Integrated Bluetooth wireless
• 5 USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Memory Stick®/SD/xD slot, PC Card slot, ExpressCard™ slot
• Main battery: Lithium ion (6-cell, 10.8V, 4000 mAh, 43.2 WHr); rated up to 2.75 hours4
• Standard spill-resistant keyboard
• Remote Control for Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
• One-year International Limited Warranty
• M-code: FPCM32021

PRICE 1,249

This one looks like the same one my friend just got. He also told me that he got a $50 mail in rebate somewhere for it too. Like I said, it plays WOW not as well as mine but I am sure it will play warcraft 3 pefectly. And for other tasks, it should have more than enough power to handle. If you plan to play more games on it, try to see if you can get a better GPU. Newegg doesn't carry alot of different configurations for Lifebook. I found that my local Fry's electrionic has better configuration but their prices are not as good as Newegg.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
so...whizardd and everyone else...do you suggest i buy a laptop that is not highly configured...just with a nice processor and battery and a few other things, and to buy a new hard drive (from seagate) and more ram from newegg...the 2GB patriot for 110$...would that benefit me the best?

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
hey guys what would you say the best company for buying a laptop is?...alienware and voodoo and falcon-nw are too pricy...and i customized a fairly good laptop for a good price with HP...what do you guys think is the best company to go with? budget around 1500

Depends... if your first concern is gaming, you may want to look around and see who is offering what video card in your price range. Often times I find that to be the limiting factor.... Otherwise HP is a fine choice (as is Toshiba,Acer,Lenovo,Fujitsu, I guess dell). At that level I'd pick on price... I know people with bad experiences with each company in the initial month (but I will say the problems were resolved). Personally I rarely ahve problems with HP business notebooks... other than user abuse.

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I just got the HP dv9235nr and it's pretty sweet. check the specs on it at HP.com
My two cents say stick with the name brands (toshiba, dell, hp) and you can't go wrong. We've all had problems with each company at one point; however, they have come a long way in making these machines more durable, reliable, etc. Heck, some could easily replace desktop machines with their specs.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
k another question...i have logitech speakers that are 5.1 with three input cords...is there a way to get my laptop to accept those three...i have like a little port for the three inputs that i think if i get the right cord connects to my computer..(i currently have an ibuypower and am extremely dissatisfied)...but i think i will definately get 512 ram with the computer, then buy 2GB for 100 off of newegg and put that in...also is it possible to take out the hard drive? or should i just buy the one thats 120gb 5400rpm (i think im going with HP)

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Let's start with your goals and a budget. Gaming, Productivity, Video? Speed or Battery Life? Is weight a concern? Optical drives? Will this be something travelling between your desktop and your couch, school and home, job site to job site?

Some companies will void your warranty if you put in aftermarket parts (I know Sony did this for a while.) HP doesn't. Dell is hit and miss. I can't sspeak for other companies because I don't have any experience with them.

As mentioned by other posters, power consumption and gaming requirements will play a large role in your decision. The graphics card is not modular in a laptop, meaning that you can't replace it like you can in a desktop PC. If gaming is your primary concern, you probably want to build your laptop around your desired graphics chipset. I don't follow gfx chipsets for laptops, but if you shoot TheGreatGrapeApe a PM, he can point you in the direction of the best chipset for your budget.

As for newegg/aftermarket parts, it depends on what you're buying and from whom. Sometimes the RAM and Hard drive will be cheaper out of the factory. Usually, they're cheaper aftermarket, and you can get better quality to-boot. You should always check: It's just good to be informed before you make the decision. The HDD is really easy to swap-out.

zenmaster

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I've been very happy with my Dells.

I always go to Outlet.Dell.com.
They tend to be cheaper than the new models, which lets you get an on-site 3-year warranty at basically no cost.

IMHO, a very good warranty is a must have for any non-entry level laptop. (Which is discardable.)

For me, I use my laptops very hard and put my warrenty to use.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
aright primary usage and requirements: would love for it to be 15.4 (decent size for watching movies and whatnot)...will have 256MB GeForce or something from nVidia graphics card...battery life is somewhat key...the hp has a 12 cell battery...would like it to be thin and lightweight 6lbs max...class notes, lots of music, pictures, videos, SOMETIMES warcraft 3...and it must run cool and quiet...from what ive seen this hp has pretty much all of it...also 120GB HDD at the least (lots of movies/tv shows/music/pictures)...and i will be putting a lot of programs onto it for like picture editing, music editing possibly, and DVD editing i guess...so yeah again budget 1500 MAX, anything less is great. thanks for the help

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
aright primary usage and requirements: would love for it to be 15.4 (decent size for watching movies and whatnot)...will have 256MB GeForce or something from nVidia graphics card...battery life is somewhat key...the hp has a 12 cell battery...would like it to be thin and lightweight 6lbs max...class notes, lots of music, pictures, videos, SOMETIMES warcraft 3...and it must run cool and quiet...from what ive seen this hp has pretty much all of it...also 120GB HDD at the least (lots of movies/tv shows/music/pictures)...and i will be putting a lot of programs onto it for like picture editing, music editing possibly, and DVD editing i guess...so yeah again budget 1500 MAX, anything less is great. thanks for the help

That lappy with the 12cell will probably be around 6.6-6.9lbs. I would say battery life watching dvds would be 6-8hrs. If the only graphics intensive thing you will be running is Warcraft 3, or even WoW, then you dont need a fancy GPU. A 7300 or 6200 or X1300 or X1400 will be fine. Anything like a 7600/7700, or X1600/1700 would be overkill and a 7900/7950GT/GTX would be ridiculous.

Personally I would go with Dell, but HP is ok I suppose.