Solved! Laptop Won't Turn On and Doesn't Charge, Possibly Fried?

May 18, 2018
So my laptop was working perfectly fine up until I checked in yesterday morning to find out it isn't charging and won't turn on, there are no indication LED's on the laptop lighting up too. So I check the laptop charger voltages to check that it's working and I'm getting 19v as expected, so the charger is working fine, I also tested the charger on another PC and it works fine. So it's obviously the laptop at fault, I then check the fuse in the laptop charger cable, it's a 13A fuse... Which seems pretty damn high to be in a charger as I expect a 3A fuse. My friends laptop charger also stopped working that morning, to find out his 3A fuse in his charger had blown, so we replaced it and his laptop and charger are fine. I've left the laptop for 24 hours and trying again, nothings changed, try holding down the power button for 30 seconds, still nothing, seems like a paper weight at the moment..

TLDR: So my guess is that my laptop has been fried due to the laptop charger having too high an amperage fuse and my laptop took the grunt of a power surge frying the poor thing.

Do you reckon this is the reason it doesn't work? And any advice to double check what damaged parts are? I reckon I'm just going to have to get a new laptop.

The laptop is a Acer Aspire V Nitro (VN7-791G)

Solution
Yep. it's the charging-battery-power circuitry : is probably set up to run some checks on all those components before giving juice to the board.
It could literally just be the battery that has been damaged.

Or a internal fuse on the motherboard. You could try to fix it, but you can never guarantee reliability as you never know what other components may be damaged.

It's a good excuse for a new laptop. Use a surge protector next time.....!

Unfortunately it's not a removable as most aren't now days.

There' physical damage to at-least one component, the difficult bit is finding which one.

R0GG

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I see it's one of those slim line laptops, but a non removable battery even in a perfomance class Laptop: what a shame., but I guess it's a fair trade for the more slim-lined shapes and compact form factor.

Hi, you have right now a motherboard that is defective, it can be repaired when the defective component is replaced.

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

It very well may be the battery. Open it up and remove the battery. Most laptops i've used were able to run directly from the wall so it's something you should have a go at if you aren't squeamish with that sort of stuff.

May 18, 2018
Update: I opened the laptop up and disconnected the battery to see if I could boot just from the mains using the AC adapter, sadly still nothing. Tried to test the voltage across the battery connections and got 0V? Feel as if even if the battery is dead I should have some sort of voltage, but the battery doesn't seem very lively. So the laptops internal fuses have either gone or the laptop just can't function without a working battery. Might buy a cheap 2nd hand battery and see if that makes a difference.

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

Or.. It could be the laptop power brick, not charging battery nor powering the laptop without battery. It is odd the battery has no voltage at all though. Probably a battery issue but i've never came across a laptop that can't run off the wall.
Edit: Just seen you tested the power brick. Skip all that.

R0GG

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Good idea, you never know how the circuitry of these modern laptops is setup in a way it won't let laptop start without a signal from a battery, or some tight feedback between battery, motherboard and charging circuit to allow powering the motherboard.

May 18, 2018
I've used another power brick to see if it gives the laptop any life but not even the power LED's come on. The laptops original power brick has been tested on another laptop and it charges that one fine, so my laptop isn't willing to receive any power at all no matter what brick used.