Lenovo Thinkpad Letter S P and B are not working

j0328

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad E550 that i use in the office. The letters S, P and B suddenly stopped working properly. It doesnt type the letters anymore. But using an external keyboard is fine. I tried switching on the On Screen Keyboard and whenever i press "S" then alt is being pressed on the OSK. Then pressing "B" toggles ScrLk. While letter "P" does nothing at all. i am not sure if its a hardware problem so i can replace the whole keypad or i just messed up something on the settings.

I did a bit of research and i tried uninstalling the keyboard driver, restarting the laptop but the same problem persists. I also tried uninstalling the driver and downloaded a new driver directly from the manufacturer to no avail.

I am running Windows 10 Pro if it matters.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
If you search for replacing E550 keyboard on youtube you will see how you can disassemble the keyboard from your system, the first thing to check is the ribbon which connects the keyboard module to your mainboard and ensure that it is fully connected. If this is loose or unseated, it can affect the input of keypresses.

The E550 keyboard is modular, so if the ribbon check does not resolve the issue, you could purchase a replacement one on ebay, and just swap the entire thing out, or you could attempt to repair the affected keys, but I believe they are scissor switch keys and are a real pain to remove and replace. It would be easier to get the whole keyboard unit replaced.

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
If you search for replacing E550 keyboard on youtube you will see how you can disassemble the keyboard from your system, the first thing to check is the ribbon which connects the keyboard module to your mainboard and ensure that it is fully connected. If this is loose or unseated, it can affect the input of keypresses.

The E550 keyboard is modular, so if the ribbon check does not resolve the issue, you could purchase a replacement one on ebay, and just swap the entire thing out, or you could attempt to repair the affected keys, but I believe they are scissor switch keys and are a real pain to remove and replace. It would be easier to get the whole keyboard unit replaced.

Solution
Mar 30, 2018
please can you tell me, did u find the solution and what it is? I have the same issue and every time i have to restore windows 10 to previous date. Now this time restoring i also not working.