Lens for canon 700d?

abdurrahmaan

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
Hi,

I want to buy a camera so that I can take good pictures, film some unboxing videos and do vlogs. I don’t know much about cameras but I am considering buying a Canon EOS 700d. However, I do not know what lens to buy. I want it to have good autofocus and a decent zoom range. I’m thinking about £100-200 for the price range.

Thanks,

P.S if you guys have any other suggestions for good cameras please tell me (I can buy a 700d for about £350 brand new)

Solution
Well it really depends on what you're shooting!

good autofocus and zoom range. You need to get your terminology on point. Cameras are real easy to understand, but it does take some time and reading to really figure it out.

So you want a large focal length for "zoom" but then you state that you are shooting reviews and such, so i'm worried that your "zoom" refers to close ups. These are VERY different. a Telephoto lens is great for zooming in to things far away. A macro lens is great for zooming in to things that are already close.

You likely need a variety of lenses.

Your kit lens is probably 18-55.
I'd get a 40mm for regular shooting, every day usage, but that is just me.
You'd probably like a 18-200mm (that is going to give...

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Well it really depends on what you're shooting!

good autofocus and zoom range. You need to get your terminology on point. Cameras are real easy to understand, but it does take some time and reading to really figure it out.

So you want a large focal length for "zoom" but then you state that you are shooting reviews and such, so i'm worried that your "zoom" refers to close ups. These are VERY different. a Telephoto lens is great for zooming in to things far away. A macro lens is great for zooming in to things that are already close.

You likely need a variety of lenses.

Your kit lens is probably 18-55.
I'd get a 40mm for regular shooting, every day usage, but that is just me.
You'd probably like a 18-200mm (that is going to give you that telephoto zoom)
A 60mm macro is probably best for shooting your reviews and unboxes.

You got a lot of reading to do :p

Solution

Hafiz Tronics

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
I mostly shoot primes (non-zoom lenses). And the Canon L glass lenses (zoom or prime) are excellent quality.

The 700D is an APS-C (non-full frame) sensor size, so the "22" was actually 22*1.5, so more like 33mm. That's not very wide. Anything under 28mm is wide. For the 700D, you'd want a 18mm (18*1.5=27) or less length. I really like the Canon L 17-40 lens. That one is about $700-800 new. I use the comparable Nikkor 24-120 on my D3s full-frame body).

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/photo-cameras/6585-lens-canon-eos.html#ixzz4YeEcedIR

abdurrahmaan

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015

So after reading what you put I'm thinking that I'd use a telephoto lens which I'd use in my vlogs. I don't mind that much not being able to zoom in on reviews etc.

Can I just ask what does '18-200mm' actually mean?