LG LED TV has no picture (black screen) but still has sound - can it be fixed?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jreddy

Estimable
May 28, 2015
My 32' LG LED TV has suddenly lost picture! The sound is alright but the screen is pitch black. After switching it on the picture flashes for a second and then the screen goes completely black. I have unplugged everything, tried to reset it, no good.

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:

shekar_2

Commendable
May 20, 2016

amanda_28

Commendable
May 22, 2016
Same thing happened to my lg yesterday. It's about 55". Same red light flashes, I get a peek at the screen for a second then it goes black. We bought it from a coworker so no warranty? Is it going to be a money pit? Also can hear sound perfectly as well.

pzamarron

Commendable
May 30, 2016

Kellie_3

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Jimmytrish

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Eakins April

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

I get no picture at all just audio how can I fix this problem??

Lauri021498

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

My LG 50" tv screen went black but still has sound. Can see very little in the background at certain angles. Less than 3 yrs old. Has anyone had any success in fixing on their own. I'll never by a LG again, last year had a horizontal line going thru it

El_Dee32

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
The picture on my LG 39LN5700 went out 3 months after purchase. Repair man fixed it and it went out again 2 years later. (2 weeks ago). I am in the process of replacing tv thru warranty company. Seems that man have this problem with LG.

]My 32' LG LED TV has suddenly lost picture! The sound is all right but the Screen is pitch black. After switching it on the picture flashes for a second and then the screen goes completely black. I unplugged everything, tried to reset it, no good. PLEASE HELP![/quotemsg]

Hello I was wondering if you had any success on your LG LED TV ? I have a 50" LG HDTV and it just happened to me. :(
I did call the LG hotline and because its under 1yr they are sending out a repair guy, but what ended up happening to your tv did you get it fixed?

Thanks, Irishgogirl[/quotemsg]

Push it off the stand , claim on your insurance .
Absolute waste of time keep having older lg sets repaired , the boards have sub par components & it'll just happen again in the near future.
Repaired my own 3 times (lg ps3000 50inch ) - ended up costing near the price of a new set in the end

BoBoTVman

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
My LG TV also flashes once, then screen goes black, though sound still works. But I have been able to get it to work by following these steps:

1) Turn off any input into the TV. For me this means turning off the Sky TV box plugged into AV1. (TV input selection is on AV1 when the TV powers up)

2) Turn on the TV. If it flashes and goes dark, then turn it off again, count to 5, then turn it on again. Repeat (for me its usually 2 times) until a flashing box 'No Signal' appears.

3) Leave the TV alone for 4-5 minutes with the flashing box 'No Signal'. This warms up something in the TV so the picture will work.

4) Turn the input back on - for me this is the Sky box. Picture should work now. If it goes dark, you probably didn't wait long enough in step 3. Start again at Step1.

We have now gotten used to this silly routine and have continued using the TV for about 6mos so far since the screen started going black. We have to do it every time, but it works. Hope it helps for you too,

Dave in Colorado

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
Unplug cable box...turn TV off - and turn back on without cable box connected...might have to do this a couple of times...my screen then came back on !!! magic... have no idea why this worked - got it from 'BoBoTVMAN'

THANKS,
DAVE
Colorado 2-9-17

Status
Not open for further replies.