Light gaming question (Laptop CPU with integrated graphics)

Xibyth

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
Does anyone have any experience with the Pentium N3530 CPU's capabilities? I have my overpowered desktop but I'm getting a Lenovo Flex 2 with this CPU and 8 GB of RAM. Essentially, could this CPU run games like LoL, Counterstrike Source, etc. without much issue? The graphics don't have to be set to high but I would expect at least 30-45FPS.

Solution
I would not suggest a Bay Trail-M Pentium N3530 for games. The Intel HD Bay Trail generation graphics core is less power than the Intel HD Sandy Bridge generation graphics core released in 2010. I am not talking about the Intel HD 2000 / 3000, just the Intel HD with no model number; which is traditional for Intel's naming scheme for the lowest performance version of the Intel HD graphics core regardless of the actual generation.

The link below lists various Youtube videos of games played with a Bay Trail generation graphics core:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bay+trail+n3530+games

Xibyth

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
Maybe, but none of those systems tested account for the additional shared memory provided by the 8 GB of RAM I will have which is essential to running graphics at higher resolution.

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
The integrated graphics will never use 8gb ram, i reckon it will use 1gb at most (usually this can be set in the bios). Besides that, performance is limited by the slow speed of the ram (for gaming it is slow) and the weak graphics chip. Those benchmarks are really what you are looking at with this intel integrated graphics, it is not suitable for gaming.

Xibyth

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
OK well, its for counterstrike source and lol. That being said CS GO was running just under playable rates at Medium settings with 1366x768 resolution on a weaker chip with less shared memory. I get what shared memory is, I'm not new to this game. I was wanting someone who actually tried games of this caliber on this CPU to provide me with their experiences, unless you benchmark the setup itself or find one with identical components they cannot be reliable.

I would not suggest a Bay Trail-M Pentium N3530 for games. The Intel HD Bay Trail generation graphics core is less power than the Intel HD Sandy Bridge generation graphics core released in 2010. I am not talking about the Intel HD 2000 / 3000, just the Intel HD with no model number; which is traditional for Intel's naming scheme for the lowest performance version of the Intel HD graphics core regardless of the actual generation.

The link below lists various Youtube videos of games played with a Bay Trail generation graphics core:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bay+trail+n3530+games

Solution

Xibyth

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014

Thanks for the clarity on this issue. Looks like I'll be spending a bit more for the i5 model, but hey thats life if you want something to do what you expect you gotta shell out.