Looking for a barebones laptop that is actually barebones.

Spycrab

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Where can I buy a barebones laptop with no ram, cpu, gpu, or ssd? This(http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30325) is the most barebones laptop I can find, but it still has a gpu.

Solution
The last time I have seen an actual barebones laptop was back in 2009 when the DIY laptop market seemed to have shuttered. One of the reasons could be that laptop dedicated GPUs are not sold directly to consumers like desktop dedicated GPUs. The only way to get them seems to be second hand (pulled from other laptops) on ebay.

There could be contract agreements preventing wholesalers and system builders from selling them individually to customers.

Hello.

Why do you want barebones? To save costs? You will usually pay much more to install each individual part on a laptop than what it costs to buy one prebuilt by a reputable company, unlike a desktop. The most you can save is by installing a free OS on that barebone laptop.

Also, a laptop cannot come without a GPU. It is part of the motherboard and irremovable.

The last time I have seen an actual barebones laptop was back in 2009 when the DIY laptop market seemed to have shuttered. One of the reasons could be that laptop dedicated GPUs are not sold directly to consumers like desktop dedicated GPUs. The only way to get them seems to be second hand (pulled from other laptops) on ebay.

There could be contract agreements preventing wholesalers and system builders from selling them individually to customers.

Solution

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
You can still find barebones on Ebay, but they are often just stripped laptops and you have to hope they work when you get them.

I did a little research on this last week. Only reliable places to get chassis, coolers, and screens from seems to be resellers for Clevo products like Sager. And then you have to ask specifically, likely paying a premium. Direct from OEM is a little tricky as they don't tend to take orders of one. Paying more than full price for a 'sample' of one might be the only option there.

Certainly no cost savings to be had unless you have access to someone that is ordering trays of mobile CPUs/GPUs.