M.2 SSD not working when I put the laptop back cover on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2018
I have an asus n580vn.
I bought a wd green 240gb m.2 sata ssd.
If the laptop plastic back cover is off, the ssd is detectable in bios. If I put the back cover on and clip it in (even just in the corner with the ssd), the ssd is no longer detected.
Do you guys have any ideea?

Update: If I press on the back cover over the ssd while it is in, the laptop suddenly shuts down. I think this is a faulty motherboard.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Sounds like a short or something. Any metal on the back cover? Is it bent or damaged in any way? If so try to bend it back. If that doesn't work try putting electrical tape on the back cover in the area where the SSD is.

Apr 14, 2018
There is what looks like a copper plate which goes right over the ssd (and has kinda the same size as the ssd). I am not 100% sure it touches it, but if it does, doesnt it mean it should touch?
Ill try with tape now and write the outcome after.

Apr 14, 2018
I tried that, doesnt make a difference.
Here is what it looks like:
backcover.jpg

both.jpg

ssd_again.jpg

ssd_on_board.jpg

Apr 14, 2018
I found the issue, it seems to be that metalicky sponge that goes over the m.2 slot and the cover only presses on it, causing the issue.
There is even a burn on it:
burn.jpg

sponge.jpg

If I put electrical tape between that and the ssd then it works.

My new questions are:

1. Should I put electrical tape there or that isnt a good ideea (do theese m.2 ssds run hot)?
2. Should I also put electrical tape on that copper plate that goes above the ssd?

Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.