grease-monkey

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Hello all

So ive decided to go for a new gaming headset and thought i'd get something that's high end and new. the F.R.E.Q 9 headset was the answer, sporting a gorgeous appearance and lots of features, this headest did set me back $300 so you could understand my frustration once you find out my predicament.

the headset is wireless and connects to the pc via a small bluetooth transmiter box which is powered by a usb cable and has an optic fiber wire, both of which connect to my mobo's sound card. the fiber optic cord transmits audio to the mic and the usb cable transmits power to the box as well as signals from the built-in mic in my headset.

at first i got a radio static-ish annoying sound that did not stop buzzing and the mic would not detect any sound, my first reaction was that it was defective but after updating my Realtek sound drivers i found that the audio problem was solved and the headset was fine. but my mic still would not detect any sound.

I tried enabling and disabling all my recording devices which were Microphone and Stereo Mix (both Realtek High Definition Audio) nothing, i played around with almost all the settings and wouldnt get anything. I even tried updating all the relevant devices in device manager, nothing.

my deduction is that my pc is not detecting a mic from the usb slot for some reason but i could be wrong. please refer to the links below for pictures

http://postimg.org/image/4typmjuml/

http://postimg.org/image/qxe8a27c9/

http://postimg.org/image/bholghjx3/

the peripheral is a plug and play device so there is no software bundled with it.

Now i am pretty sure that there's nothing defective about it because it does work fine when paired via bluetooth with my iphone in recording and playback as well as with other pc's ive tried it on. now i did try to retrace my steps and see how it worked with other pc's and not so much with my pc, but i wasn't successful in this respect as it seemed to work fine as soon as i got it set up.

my motherboard is an ROG Rampage IV Formula by ASUS and i am using windows 8.1 in 64-bit.

the headset is very much new and i found a lack of user feedback online as a result. i could barely find a few unboxing videos on youtube.

the mad catz website DID have a troubleshoot page on their site but nothing relevant nor helpful there.

any help would be appreciated. please let me know if you need any information about my pc or anymore pictures.

please excuse my lack of skill with uploading pictures to the forum

thanks

Solution

Hi there glad you figured it out can you tell me how you did it with the bluetooth dongle ?
Thx Man

grease-monkey

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Nevermind

I solved the issue

Apparently after calling tech support, i was told that the mic is not functional unless i pair the headset with my pc via bluetooth.
i therefore need to purchase a bluetooth dongle.

very convenient Mad Catz :kaola:

L0Moser

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015

Hi there glad you figured it out can you tell me how you did it with the bluetooth dongle ?
Thx Man

Solution

grease-monkey

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
UPDATE:

Bluetooth works well with laptops and phones with built-in bluetooth drivers into the hardware itself but does not work nearly half as well as it should with desktop pc's that need to rely on bluetooth dongles.

i posted my feedback on amazon and i'm posting it here as well: this is an overpriced bluetooth casual headset that will do a better job when paired with your phone, it is not for gaming.

another disappointment by mad catz

Matrix275

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
I was so overwhelmed by the overall quality of the headset and its sound but in the end it turned out to be better not used on a PC because it loses sound quality and the mic won't work at all. Is it properly working with a bluetooth stick?
If it does, I won't return the product.

grease-monkey

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Nope.
Very bad quality.
Especially if you want to use it for couch gaming a few meters far away from your pc.
My only piece of advice is if you are using it for a laptop then you can keep it because the laptop's Bluetooth driver seems to work well with it, unfortunately I own a full desktop gaming rig.
I heard some good reviews about the Logitech G930 it's wireless and 7.1 as well, I'll probably be getting that soon.
And I will probably keep this one to use with my phone, a bit of overkill but I see no other solution

Patrick_1

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015

The bluetooth dongle makes the sound louder and great, but you cant have stereo sound and mic, you need to use this "quality headset" as a phone headset, and that just sucks. i bought it a few months back, and though the sound is great, the fact you cant have great sound and use a mic on pc is a big minus.
I really think they did false advertisement by saying it works all around, when it only works half on the pc