Make image for widnows xp to restore it later

overthenet

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hi,

I am trying to find a good software or nice method to make a backup of my windows xp when it's fresh installed with programs and restore it later when I need it.

here's how my hard drive is formatted:

Partition C:windows xp sp2, this partition is the system root and i don't boot from it at all. I keep it 100% clean

Partition D:windows xp sp2, this partition is the partition I want to make backup from, it contains all my programs and everytime I boot my pc I go to this partition

Partition E:windows xp sp2, this partition is a backup windows in case partition D got affected i will be able to continue my work till i install another windows on partition D.

So, as you see I am protected in case I got affected by a virus, I will always be able to boot from another partition to save my files or even do a virus scan, I can even unistall and install new fresh windows on partition D or E without affecting each others because I have a system root partition on C clean 100% not even the network driver is installed on it.

Now my question is what is the best way to make an image of my partition D and install it when I need it without affecting partiton C and E. I just want a fresh image of my windows that I can put on external hard drive and be able to install it without any problems, because installing a new windows with all the software is a long process.

I tried Acronis but it seems not working the way I want it to be, it also made my partition E boot to slow.

Any sugggestions or Ideas? thanks

Solution
Overthenet,

If you just want to make an image of your drive "as is" ready for reinsertion into another drive, or overwrite the current one, I would use Norton Ghost. It can make backups, Disk images and lots of other cool stuff.

If you want to combine that with a tool called "VMWare" you can then convert the image into a Virtual Machine and make modifications to it on the fly, like Windows Updates etc.

Hope this helps,

Dorsy99

dorsy99

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Overthenet,

If you just want to make an image of your drive "as is" ready for reinsertion into another drive, or overwrite the current one, I would use Norton Ghost. It can make backups, Disk images and lots of other cool stuff.

If you want to combine that with a tool called "VMWare" you can then convert the image into a Virtual Machine and make modifications to it on the fly, like Windows Updates etc.

Hope this helps,

Dorsy99

Solution