Malware infested in Google Chrome. Double search bar popping up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPorter23

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
I want to start off saying that I am your typical above par computer enthusiast. I know how to fix any problem I come across 100% of the time but this one is sneaky. It's some sort of malware which infested itself within my google chrome browser. Basically, the way it works is whenever i click on a webpage's sub-tap (i.e facebook and then from the you click on one of your groups) a separate tab opens up screaming "I'm not a virus, click on me!" sorta deal. Furthermore, whenever I search something in google's address bar, once I land on the google results page a second search bar pops up underneath my bookmarks. If you type anything, anywhere it will always redirect the words to the second search bar. It's very low key and I can't figure out what the virus or company is called. I've run 5 programs total, all anti-virus. This includes: AdwCleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, RogueKiller, Avast, and AVG. Within these programs I did every single possible scan there is. Registry scans, 3rd party scans, even browser plug in scans and results did show up. Obviously I clear them but the problem still persists. I have no idea how to proceed and am asking for the community for help. Thank you in advance.

(Screenshot of what the second search bar looks like)
https://postimg.org/image/4j1iadclx/

notlim981

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Ok, first off, if you are running Windows 10, I'd strongly recommend you to have Windows Defender + Malwarebytes as your defense kit. Secondly, try to get rid of that search bar by downloading and installing a tool called "Junkware Remove Tool" from Malwarebytes, linked below:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/junkwareremovaltool/

Also install CCleaner and run a registry scan to remove all the junk left in there.

hitman pro is another good malware killer. if it not malware but someone drop an add in or tool bar to your web browser it now part of your user info and if you uninstall and reinstall the browser it just come back. look under add remove programs look for new programs/tool bars that have just been added. also look under plug in. you may have to go into develporer mode on the browser to delete what was done to you.

MrPorter23

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
I'm running windows 7 Home Premium and have AVG and windows Defender as my defense. I'll take a look at hitman pro and Junkware Removal tool. From what I heard CCleaner is another malware disguised as an antivirus. I'll report back and tell you what I find

MrPorter23

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015

It's not the address bar believe me. I decided not to show my bookmarks therefore if you don't see the bookmarks how could you possibly see the real address bar. And you're right, I did list 6 not 5. I used to run a mac before switching and CCleaner seemed to be giving me virus's rather than deleting them. Even though I'm on PC I'd rather not take the risk

MrPorter23

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
So I ran JRT and also Hitman Pro 3 and they didn't come up with any results. They simply showed that no threats were found on my computer. I did registry cleans in the past but for some reason I still have a feeling that the virus is hiding somewhere within my registry

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
download zemana, go to advanced settings and tick the setting for browser extensions, and then let it run a scan. If something was added into your browser, it will remove it, even if it is protected by group policy settings.
zemana is the best browser cleaner.

MrNdirash

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
@MrPorter23, I also had the same problem. I had downloaded book bazaar epub app when the problems started. problems went after I uninstalled it. check if you installed an app from windows store around the time the problems started

Status
Not open for further replies.