Man Caught Using Cell Phone Jammer on Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I feel his pain. I always avoid using my cell phone and music player on my morning ride. reading the newspaper helps a lot and i like to be aware of my environment.

amdfangirl

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 7, 2008
Just a jammer? I would have bought an EMP device.

Gotta hate those people who are on their iPods listening to music "privately".

I was on a train where someone had Justin Beiber pumping loud and I was hlafway across the carriage and it drove me nuts.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I think it would be no more risky than it would've have been 25 years ago when cellphones were far less common. Of course these days peoples brains have been replaced by smart phones. So yeah, instant death will occur if cellphones are jammed.

As a daily public transit rider, I've been tempted to do exactly what this individual has done. Why is it that some people have no regard for all the others on the bus/train? Each bus I ride on has a sign (though not prominent) which states, " Keep it low. Keep it short". Unfortunately, enforcing that would create a safety issue for the drivers as well as the commuters. Cell phone jammers seem like the perfect solution to me.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Considering a lot of places now have laws against people using cell phones and the like while driving, I'd love to be able to jam them like this guy. Nothing is more frustrating, as well as potentially dangerous, as someone driving and either talking, or worse, texting and being destracted from what is going on around them.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Yes nothing bad could come of this...

I wouldn't want to be the one who bleeds to death waiting for a doctor/surgeon who never got the page because his pager was jammed. Or maybe it's an OB who's high risk patient goes into labor and the baby dies when said OB never arrives.

Or the single parent that doesn't get a call about their child being in an accident? Also, those jammers jam radios too - do you want to be stuck on the bus when driver doesn't get the radio call/reroute about the traffic jam on the bridge ahead and gets stuck in it?

Yes, people need to keep their private calls private - and not be on the phone on a bus/elevator/etc. But for better or worse, the way our world works relies on being able to reach people on a moments notice (Drs who are on call aren't required to literally be at the hospital, etc). And no one should take the law into their own hands.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Considering a lot of places now have laws against people using cell phones and the like while driving, I'd love to be able to jam them like this guy. Nothing is more frustrating, as well as potentially dangerous, as someone driving and either talking, or worse, texting and being destracted from what is going on around them.[/citation]

Right, because none of them are on critical calls that absolutely cannot wait. And you can certainly decide who can talk and who can't. 95% probably can wait - but those others may be life and death, how do you know?

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
need more jammers. common courtesy in an uncommon virtue. no one said you CANT talk, but if you insist on forcing your garbage on others, then f*ck you and your call.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
[citation]What's your opinion on cell phone jammers? Are they too risky to be used at all, or do you think they'd be perfect for places like the movie theater or library? Let us know in the comments below![/citation]

No it wouldn't be a good idea. What if someone hijacked the theater or library, no one could dial 911. Much like what was discussed n the bus incident. Jammers are a nice invention, but put in public places could be dangerous.

panders4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I think it would be fine for controlled areas like prisons, where they can have alternate manners of communication in advance. It should still be illegal for consumer use, people can't be trusted with jammers.

G

Why don't they make it a rule to only allow texting while using public transportation?

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Disregard my comment. I remember reading that in fact jammers can be tuned to allow certain calls. Much like the teen-card protecting ones for parents. So if they were to allow emergency calls then why not? Would be nice in places that do not allow phones.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I work in a public library. People are just plain rude and inconsiderate when it comes to cell phone usage. It's not just children/teens, but adults also. We don't allow people use cell phones, but unfortunately it doesn't stop people from using them and being pushy about it. Some people actually know how to speak quietly, while others fail miserably at this. I couldn't tell you the number of times I would have loved to have had a cell phone jammer handy. I know it's illegal, but to what extent? I almost have no hair left on my head. Ugh!

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]RockNRollz[/nom]Disregard my comment. I remember reading that in fact jammers can be tuned to allow certain calls. Much like the teen-card protecting ones for parents. So if they were to allow emergency calls then why not? Would be nice in places that do not allow phones.[/citation]

They can be tuned to allow calls FROM certain numbers - not TO certain numbers (i.e., your phone can be blocked or not blocked, but not blocked based on what number you're calling). Think about it - you call 911 or you call your mom, it's the same frequency, same carrier signal, etc.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Unfortunately, enforcing that would create a safety issue for the drivers as well as the commuters. Cell phone jammers seem like the perfect solution to me.[/citation]
What? You're saying that use of a cell phone jammer is a perfect solution?

What if somebody has an emergency and needs to dial 911? Oh, like the idiot from the article, you think you'll just turn it off because you're there. But what's the range on your device? Does it jam only the bus or a hundred feet in every direction? Do you know everything that's happening near the bus at all times? Do you really want a world where people are just running around turning off cell phones for everyone in the area because they think it's annoying?

What if somebody forgets to turn the jammer off, and wanders into a public place? Now what if somebody in that public place has a heart attack, and now we've got to find which person in the crowd has the jammer so we can shut it off and get emergency help for the person lying on the floor dying.

But these are all perfectly acceptable risks in the face of the scourge that is being mildly annoyed on the bus, right? Let's introduce an element of unreliability into the network we rely on more and more every year during emergencies, because it's kind of annoying to listen to people on their phones.

Or maybe people should stop taking risks with other peoples' lives and just deal with it.

G

If I had a jammer I'd just turn it on just long enough for the noisy person's call to be dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.