Medusa 5.1 Headphones - Is a set up needed?

evilh

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Hello,

Having been deliberating over the Home Edition version of this headset for ages (I was put off from the apparent difficulty faced by people setting these up according to the 15 page post in here), I finally plumped for them as I snapped my Logitech cheap things.

Initially, WOW!

I have the amp but have not wired this in yet and have wired the headphones straight into the back of my Audigy Platinum Ex (using 1 of the many different cables supplied). Windows and the Creative AudioHQ are set to 5.1 speakers (and the settings are kept).

They are very comfortable, don't crush any part of my ear and I would be happy wearing them for hours.

The first thing I did was check the "Front Left, front right" settings bit in AudioHQ to make sure the volume was reasonably balanced across the five speakers. There doesn't seem much to do according to the Medusa site's FAQ and support?

Now for the questions:

1. The above is all I did - is this enough?

2. I have downloaded a DirectSound3d positioning program (as recommended from someone in another post) and I find that when the sound is circling my head I can hear the movement as follows:
From left to right very clearly
The centre speaker seems to be on my forehead, so I can tell when something is moving across the front - BUT
I cannot really tell when the sound passes behind. I can still easily tell the left to right but not that they are behind? Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

3. In game (Stalker most noticeably) I sometimes have to turn to the side to hear properly someone talking directly in front of me (which seems wrong). Is the game itself or something I am not doing?

4. Are there anymore sensible suggestions?

Any explanation I would appreciate if I am treated as a complete idiot - then I might just understand. I have heard about bass switching and CMSS on/off but cannot see these anywhere?

Thanks in advance
:twisted:

evilh

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Yes I checked all of this and nothing seems to help. I searched Medusa before posting here and there are lots of people asking for help but no-one replies with anything valuable - guess these are the wrong forums to get help.

Now my only problem seems to be the distinct lack of bass from the centre speaker.

DukeCLR

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Yes I checked all of this and nothing seems to help. I searched Medusa before posting here and there are lots of people asking for help but no-one replies with anything valuable - guess these are the wrong forums to get help.

Now my only problem seems to be the distinct lack of bass from the centre speaker.

I just plugged mine in and I have the same problem. All bass from any activity behing me is missing. It creates an unrealistic enviornment in game. :(

evilh

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I have ended up emailing Speedlink in Germany with this issue and got a response that seemed to make a difference.

Essentially under the Surround Mixer in the Creative software. I did the following:
1. Increased the overall bass setting to about 75% (next to the volume)
2. Opened the settings (on the speakers page) and increased the Crossover frequency to about 75%
3. Turned off bass redirection.

Now in games I can hear bass in the centre speaker (most noticeably now driving tanks in BF2142). I believe that the crossover frequency has had the most effect by allowing more of the bass to come through (although my knowledge is insufficient to say for definite).

I have not tested much because my 2nd son is due 21st June and there are many more capable that will understand. I hope that this helps others with the Medusas.