ChainsawChody

Estimable
Sep 9, 2015
> Edit (09/10/15 @10:21am): I guess I need to figure out how to reconnect the chipset to the motherboard.

> Edit (09/09/15 @4:33pm): Brought the laptop down to my buddy's computer tech store and they said they're 80% sure the chipset has 'lost connectivity' to the motherboard due to overheating since there is absolutely no video output.

---------------------
Original Post:
---------------------
A little background before I explain my stupidity. This spanned over about 3 years.

- Removed Windows 8 from Samsung Laptop (Model:NP365ESC) (2013)
- Reinstalled with Windows 7 (2013)
- Girlfriend had spilled a little soda on keypad so that’s now fubar (everything else seemed fine) (2014)
- Did a clean whip of harddrive (Early 2015)
- Encountered boot device error after reinstalling windows. Screen would start up like normal with logo and the ‘press f2’ for bios but then the screen would go black and stay black. We found a workaround by pressing f10 and manually selecting the, what I remember to read “Boot Device Manager” (with a series of numbers/letters following) option on every start up.
- Everything seemed to be fine besides how sluggish it seemed to be when opening web browsers, switching tasks, etc. Did a quick disk defrag/cleanup and figured I should just play with the boot device priority again ………. (Horror music plays here)

On Sunday I decided to go into the bios and select the “Boot Device Manager” and move it to the first option and then DISABLING everything else to see what happens, I feel this is a key point. :chaudar: After restarting the computer it turns on, fans run, lights blink but I get nothing but a black screen. No logo/welcome screen, nothing.

I feel I just need to find a way to ‘reset’ the bios or just get into it somehow. None of the F1-12 keys do anything. I’ve tried removing the battery, holding the power button for 2 minutes, plugging in the AC adapter and restarting. I have not yet tried resetting the CMOS battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

metalicgeek

Estimable
Boot device priority should not have messed with the ability to boot to Windows, so you may have done something else on top of this. Try enabling the other devices, then selecting the one-time boot menu and trying each device in sequence. You can try toggling "CSM," "Legacy/UEFI boot" or other similar-sounding features and seeing if these fix the issue. However, for best results, the step to perform now is indeed resetting the CMOS battery, unfortunately.

ChainsawChody

Estimable
Sep 9, 2015

Thanks for the response!
The main problem I'm having is when I start up the laptop I don't get the initial screen that allows for accessing the bios. Even during the first few moments pressing f2/f10 doesn't allow anything.

The laptop was setup to 'extend desktop' to a second monitor with the second as the primary.
Not sure if this matters.

ChainsawChody

Estimable
Sep 9, 2015

I've also tried that as well. Fn+F4 then wait... Fn+F4(x2) then wait... Nothing yet. :c
Edit: I'm looking up how to disassemble the laptop to get to the CMOS battery.