Micro SD Freezing during file transfer.

mrdyer84

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I suppose this could be a question for the Storage section but I use the micro sd for my tablet so...

I have a 64gb xc micro sd card made by San Disk. Purchased it for my Galaxy Tab.

The plan was to use the card for music, videos, pictures and scumm roms. So I started the process of moving the files I wanted to the card using a Tek Republic usb 3.0 card reader. It starts off fine but then the time remaining disappears and it seems to hang there. Ive broken up the transfer from one lump mass of about 56gb into smaller chucks with the same result. I even tried moving a single movie over and still had the same issue. Also tired different usb ports and a different computer both 2.0 and 3.0 usbs.

The only unusual thing about the card is its total free space. My two other 64gb micros have a total free space of about 59.5gb. This card has 62.9gb of free space.

I've formatted from exfat to fat32 in the command prompt. I let the tablet itself format the card prior to transfer and still no luck.

I'm out of ideas and I want to try everything before I return it. Any suggestions?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
When you purchase a "64GB" SD card they usually never have that exact amount, same with hard drives. Does it freeze up for all types of files you try to transfer? You might want to create large plain text files and try transferring those and see if the same issue arises.

mrdyer84

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

What I was getting at about the size was that its almost all free space. 63gb free of a 64gb card is something I've never seen before and I found it unusual enough to make note of it, like maybe it was missing some kind of partition or driver information.

I'll give the text file a shot and post back.