Microsoft: Blu-ray Will Be Passed By As a Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkisd

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
the quality of streamed movies is no where near the level of a good blu-ray movie. so i use both. but one day it will, and i can see where blu-ray and any other physical media whill be obsolete. until then. having both is a must.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Digital downloads all the way. I have a blu-ray reader on my PC that rarely gets used. Compared to 12 TB of hard disks...

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
It is already obsolete.

I have cancelled completely the idea of having a blu-ray reader or burner, 25GB or even 50GB capacity isn't worth it.

With today's multi-TB HDD drives, and 20+Mbps internet, there's absolutely no point in storing data on a (fragile) CD-like format.

Buy a game from Steam (or similar), download it in less than 1 hour, play. Even faster than going to the store to get the disk. End of story.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Sore losers. At least Toshiba got over it.

Blu-ray's future is inversely proportional to ISP download caps. Those are becoming more popular.

tonyn84

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
If they ever go drm free like mp3s are now I might consider a downloaded movie, but until then I'll be sticking to disks.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Blu Ray will still be around, same way they still have DvDs with the Blu Ray discs, along with the digital downloads. Ya, digital download is great, and that's how I get almost everything, but high speed internet isn't in everyone's home, and to go digital only is just gonna shoot them in foot. One day, yes, but that day isn't today, and it's not gonna be tomorrow, maybe 5 years down the line when high speed internet is more saturated, but not quite yet.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Hmm more MS crap ? OKJ Xbox360 has done quite well using just a bog standard DVD drive, but lets face it... its much harder and expensive to copy Blu Ray discs - so If MS want to tryand prevent more piracy of Xbox titles or even PC software then put it on blu ray.

I thin kthe bigger point is that MS wont adopt Blu Ray because Sony beat them to it and it would be a little like admitting defeat.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
yes but does streaming allow for the use Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio Decoding??? Blu-Ray sure does LOL.

i find that most ppl only care about the picture. ZOMG! we need 1080p LED TV's!!! wait, would about sound?? O just use the TV Speakers... sigh.

As far as I can tell; the 360 when streaming Netflix doesn't do a great job with audio. Yes, I know it has Dolby Digital on the 360 but that is it!! it isn't even Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD!

my advice to M$, release an external Blu-Ray player OR patch the 360 to enable HD Audio.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Downloads sure, but streaming is a whole different game. Between the fact that most people have painfully slow internet that cannot keep up with HD streaming and ISP caps Blu-ray isn't disappearing yet.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Blu-Ray will have a place but it will never be as big as DVD or VHS

DD and streams with services like Netflix has taken off really well

there will be a market for Blu-Ray
I think plenty of people will buy blu-ray layers but buying as many discs as before, I don't see happening

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
While downloads and streaming are handy. I still want to OWN what I buy. Sorry.

The industry gets way too much power over the customer when its all locked in DRM and the like. I'd also like to SELL a DVD/BD/whatever if I choose to.

The publishing industry has been after the 2nd hand book market a long while. I'm sure all the companies out there are salivating at the ability to eliminate 2nd hand sales.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I like having my movies bought on DVD or burned onto DVD after buying it, personally. If I can't burn it onto something I won't be paying for it, except for what I watch streamed off Netflix...

Easier to let my family use a DVD than to use money I don't have to setup some sort of awesome Media Center that can stream to any TV in the house...

Blu ray blank discs are cheaper now too. I might be in the minority of people though considering there are a lot of movies I like to watch more than once... Streaming content isn't always available.

Having a large collection of physical media has saved me a couple times really. Like last time we moved we didn't have TV or internet for an extra couple weeks, so we had tons of DVDs to watch when it got late and we felt like vegging.

jetmech437

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I think it's nice that if you purchase a movie/game on either DVD or bluray, you have the physical copy. You can sell it to someone else if you so choose. With a digital download, wouldn't you just be stuck with what you purchased?

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
in what imaginary world does MS live in where they think people are going to download 25GB games? +bandwidth caps. +extremely slow speeds.

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
BR burners are way too expensive at present to purchase on a whim. Maybe in a year or two when the price of both the burners and discs are competitive with DVD or even 9DL DVDs, I might entertain the idea of buying it as a storage/backup solution.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Ugh, there are Blu Ray files already available, its called the .MVK format.

THese are basically close to being a BLU RAY format and the files are not as large as 20GB but they are more than 7gb which would be a DVD.

And NO, I dont believe that the next gen systems will not sport a HDD because the console will need to store upadates and will need internal memory. So maybe it might not sport a HDD but it may have a large SSD by then.

G

Blu-Ray isnt going anywhere.

Microsoft has long had a vested interest in digital download and making Blu-Ray go away.

That is the same microsoft that had me calling some frickin call center in dubi every time my LEGAL copy of windows had to be installed. Apparently I changed the inside of my rig around so many times they thought I was puting it on a new machine. Thats alwasys a fun 45 min. So screw microsoft and their control tactics

Second, there is something very posessory about having a physical disk. I bought it. Its mine. Ill have it forever. Now, a few years back I got the game Panzer General online for 5 bucks...well...subsequently my drive got wiped and I had to go back to the company to get another copy....turns out they lost my original purchase and I had to pay another 5 bucks to get rights to the game again. Pure streaming + corporate profit motive + BS bureaucracy created = bad news.

Also, if everyone starts streaming...the internet will get clogged...period. Now, there is a niche for streaming and in a perfect world it might be a good replacement. But not this world. Keep makin the disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.