Microsoft Investigating Skype Breach Exposing IP Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

born2rock4life

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Haven't seen a vulnerability like this since you could use Direct Connect in AIM to share images, and then run a netstat -r. Good times.

G

sounds like a lot of cam "workers" are gonna find themselves real life stalkers.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I was just about to say "I havnt seen the Skype app in the marketplace" but thought I would check first... Wooohooo! Time to spend those sweet sweet Skype credits.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
This reminds of the good old ICQ days where the IP address was listed in everyone's profile. I used to use a program called Sub7 to rotate other peoples screens and eject their cd trays to make they sh!t. The 90's were fun. :)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
You kinda broadcast your IP address when you go online. It's NOT a secret.
That being said, this should NOT have happened nowadays. What kind of "patch" is that?
Always logging off any online services when done with them - that should be common sense, but a lot of people don't exercise it.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
my first post disappeared while uploading... this site is buggier than a 20 year old mattress...

Anyways, logging off any online service when done using them is basic common sense - but a lot of people don't exercise it.
Who made that patch, anyways? that dude needs his arse fired for incompetence.
Finally, it sounds bad as it is, but you're broadcasting your IP address every time you're online. It's not a secret. The patch needs...patching, but it is not the end of the world.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Of course, no edit button... Sorry for the double post.[/citation]
All good, edit is hiding under the 'Read the comments fro mthe forums' link... and then it sometimes works ;-)

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]All good, edit is hiding under the 'Read the comments fro mthe forums' link... and then it sometimes works ;-)[/citation]

It shouldn't work on the Tom's Guide articles, just the Tom's Hardware articles.

devpuma

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Crysis 2's multiplayer had a similar problem, you could see the IP addresses of all the players in the server you were playing in.

Not sure if they ever fixed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.