Mikrotik Router for Home Use??

Susmoy Paul

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
well, I used two router so far ... the TP-Link wr841n & currently using Dlink 605l. Have browsing problem with both of them. So I'm trying to get a new brand for router.

so many of choice. I chose Mikrotik (didn't buy it yet) because of high ratings. Though it seems like most of the people don't use it for the advanced interface.

Is it really a good choice? Don't want to spend more than 100$ and options are limited here.

Susmoy Paul

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
for Dlink 605l, I can browse the usual websites that I generally use on PC (wired with router) like FB & Youtube. But can't use other sites like Twitter or Tumblr (don't use them often) ... they have infinite times for loading and sometimes collapse the whole site. Disgusting!

On mobile for the same router, I can use FB but NOT youtube and so many websited. It's totally strange and I am really frustrated about that.

& for TPlink, didn't get the connection at all after using just 4-5 month.

BTW, I'm using Dlink 605l also for only 4 months. sigh!

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You probably don't want to use a MikroTik for home use, especially if you've never messed with one before. I used them at my last job and they are quite complicated to learn and harder to properly set up. As for your old routers, have you tried to do a factory reset on them and see if that has any effect? If not, I would. If it does not help, try hooking your computer directly to the modem and see what happens. If you still have the same issues while direct connected to the modem, then you might have an ISP issue.

Susmoy Paul

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
I did that. Connected the modem directly to PC and using it right now! No problem at all!

did the reset several times but no luck for me. The disturbing browsing problem stays. Don't know why.

Something is wrong with these cheap routers. I'm just a simple user. A PC and 4-5 mobiles ... that's it! They can't take this simple load. And can't find another trusted router. Ugh!

misteriosly

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015

Tbh i have been using the same Tp-link router for a few years already, still using it.
And i have the same amount of devices, like 1 desktop PC and around 5-6 mobiles connected to it.
Never had such issues.
Have you ever checked your connection to those sites without the router ?
There is the possibility that your ISP is shaping your traffic to those sites, be it intentionally or not.

& for TPlink, didn't get the connection at all after using just 4-5 month.
What does this means ? It doesn't load the sites at all or ?
First check your ping to those sites, if you have package drops or high latency, your ISP may have a problem in their network, where if you don't inform them may continue with months without a problem.

Susmoy Paul

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014

Thanks for your comment MISTERIOSLY.

for the TP-Link, I didn't get the connection at all. It was like, it worked for 5-6 hours then suddenly disconnected. Did the reset, off on the power ... not working. I powered off the whole PC. Waited for tomorrow. I knew it would not work. But I tried. and guess what ... not worked at all. Not for even couple of hours.

& this is not for only two days. It was about two months that I suffered. I connected the modem directly to PC, browsed freely. when back to the router, again that shitty problem. Used the DD-WRT firmware and that router got bricked. Don't know why. I did exactly by the instructions. Then I replaced it with Dlink.

That's the story. Don't think the ISP did anything cause directly using the modem, there is no problem. Now I'm thinking to get Mikrotik. Let's see what happens. :)

P. S. : The loading problem is with the Dlink, not TPlink.