MKV files are really laggy and bad quality

AlbanHampton

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Okay, so I have a Dell Dimension 2400, and recently I installed windows 7 on it, so I download VLC and a bunch of moves in MKV format, and they are extremely laggy and bad quality/unwatachable. I have tried windows media player, and media player classic, I have also have K-Lite codec pack. Also I have changed the settings to what all of the tutorials say, yet it is still laggy.. I have just ran a AVI file film and it was perfect..

So can someone tell me what I need to do pls :)

mironso

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

I don't know your spec, but from net, what I saw for Dell Dimension 2400, you lack in CPU and GPU power to play MKV.

AlbanHampton

Honorable
May 2, 2013

I know it isn't a very good machine, but I surely it should play Finding Demo, and Toy Story?

Does not matter what the movie is, it's the fact that it's an HD file.

What is the full specs of the system, CPU, RAM, video card? You may be able to get away with just a RAM and video card upgrade to run HD stuff. My Lenovo T43 laptop with a 1.8gig M CPU can almost play HD stuff.

On the other hand, I've also been able to buy a dual-core system for $30(used on craigslist) so you can probably replace your computer for about the price of the new video card and RAM. Technically I got the PC for $30 but the seller and I have some prior dealings so I got a good price, he was selling them for $75, which is about the going rate to $150 for a dual core system. That $30 computer is able to play HD with no issues using the onboard video. Look around and you can probably find something good to replace that 2400 with.

If it's a P4, it may be able to run HD with more RAM and a faster video card, the Celeron probably not. Either case, a used dual core system can be found for about the cost of RAM and a video card, maybe $80-100 vs $30-40-50 for an upgrade (used parts prices), so a full system swap would be best, unless moving files and settings is an issue.

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
If all else fails you could look into some MKV-to-AVI conversion tools. If you're system isn't up to par to play MKV, this could work, although it will probably take over an hour to completely convert.

I have one at home I found free, cant recall the name at this moment (though I think its called MP4-to-AVI even though it does convert more than just MP4.

On a Pentium 4 it will probably take a few hours to convert per movie, even with the thing stuffed with RAM.