Question Motherboard of new Thinkpad T480s fried for the second time within 3 months of purchase.

Nov 2, 2019
I received my T480s around 3 months and, just after a month, the device suddenly stopped working (did not boot even to the bios). The motherboard was replaced by the service center. Again after 2 months, the device began to reboot spontaneously and after a while, it stopped working at all (again, didn't even boot to the bios). The service center is going to replace the motherboard again, but I believe the same thing might happen again.

There was no physical damage ( dropped/spillage/power surge etc) with the device. I use Ubuntu 18.04 alongside the pre-installed Windows 10.

I have tried all the standard troubleshooting procedure (pressing the reset button, removing the battery and power drain, reset the BIOS etc), but it was inconclusive. The charger is also working fine, and I have not attached any other device to the laptop except my wired earphones.

I am unable to understand what is damaging the motherboard. Any guidance/suggestion is appreciated.

It is still under warranty so you need to have the manufacturer look at the problem, and possibly just replace the entire device. It could be any number of things wrong, but if you touch anything, and in many cases even if you open up the laptop to look inside, they will void your warranty.

With it being so new, you don't want that. And to be honest, no new device should give you such problems at all.

Seems a little fishy to me.

Were it me, I would push to have them replace the entire device and not just any parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: ativsc