Mozy Home vs. iDrive - Can anyone give me some insight?

Moondoggy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
First, let me admit that I'm cheap :rolleyes:

I've been using Mozy Home for a number of years now because they offer 2 GB of storage for free and I've never had a problem with Mozy backing up or restoring important files. However, I seem to be running into the 2 GB limit more and more despite the fact that I've removed quite a large number of files from my backup set. I ran into an article today that suggested that iDrive might be an alternative to Mozy Home as it offers 5 GB of free storage vs. Mozy's 2 GB of free storage. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has used both Cloud storage options that can give me any pro's or con's regarding iDrive over Mozy.

Moondoggy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I may not have explained things properly so let me clarify.....

I backup the entire image of my 1 TB hard drive using Acronis TrueImage on a frequent basis to an external hard drive so I don't really need a lot of storage on Mozy or iDrive for my backups. What I currently backup on Mozy are my Quicken QData file, my Outlook.PST file and a few other files that change frequently and are critical that I have a backup of that current data. The thing about Mozy is that when my system is idle it will start the backup process so most of the files that do change get backed up and I'm not even aware of the backup process. Another feature of Mozy is that it keeps backups of a file that changes frequently for 30-90 days so that if a corruption occurs and the corrupted file is backed up then I can restore the last backup prior to the corruption occurring. In addition, if I simply delete a file and I'm not aware of the deletion Mozy keeps a copy of the backed up deleted file for 30-90 days so I can still restore the file if I catch it in time. Lastly the files backed up by Mozy are encrypted which is important to me since my confidential data is stored in the cloud. So, there's a lot more to a backup made with Mozy vs a backup made to OneDrive or Google Drive as those repositories do not offer the redundancy and recovery options that Mozy offers.

That being said, I still run low on Mozy space ever so often so I was curious how iDrive was alike or different than Mozy.