jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I am looking for a way to control several HDTVs in several different rooms via a HDMI matrix switcher. This is the setup that I have imagined: The switcher would have several devices (DVR, Blu-Ray, etc.) attached to it via HDMI, and then 3 or 4 HDMI output cables going to the several TVs. The problem is, how would I control it? I have thought of buying a universal IR remote, then having an IR extender by each TV going to the AV closet, and then program the IR codes or whatever for each device (including the matrix, DVR, Blu-Ray) into the remote. Is this possible? I am most concerned about the control of the devices using the IR remote.

osidemike

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

I asked a similar question in another forum but have not received an answer. Seems that, while one can have multiple outputs which are the same via an HDMI router, one can only have one input (cable, BluRay, etc). Thus, every TV will play the same program. I also have not figured out how to control the input device from another room. I am very interested in responses to your question.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
this is certainly more advanced than a simple signal splitter.
since you want more than one input and a remote control for the ability to tell which television gets which input source.

probably easiest to use more than one input on the televisions.. then get an HDMI splitter (if they are available, but they should be eventually since it is the nature of marketing)
then have the dvr on one HDMI splitter.. then the bluray on another HDMI splitter.

all you have to do then is select which input to use on the televisions.
that will certainly allow you to see the same program on two televisions, or have the option to use DVR on one television and bluray on the other.
many televisions have a remote that can control the bluray player.
and
many DVR's have a remote that can control the television or bluray player.

asking one remote to control two televisions is perhaps a bit harder to find.
you probably wont find such a thing on the casual universal remote.
but
maybe the fancier universal remotes (like the logitech harmony) .. maybe they have the option for more than one television.

but..
how hard is it to keep the remote near the television to be able to change its input?
maybe put it on top of the television?
or
keep the remotes in a drawer with a #1 and #2 on the remote.

i havent heard a lot about HDMI distribution amplifiers yet.. so thinking it would be easy for you to find an HDMI distribution amp that allows for more than one input AND allows you to switch between inputs for each output.. i cant say nobody is going to want it, since many businesses would want something like that.
i just think people work with what is already available.. and that is the different input options already on the television.

to really think about it.. having the multiple input / multiple output HDMI splitter out where you can see it is generally not going to happen.
nobody wants to see all of the wires done sloppy.. and leaving it out in the open like that will definetely do it.
unless you run the wires in the attic (or through the walls) and have the wall with some drilled holes showing each wire coming out of the wall.. with the HDMI splitter mounted onto the wall.
(much like how they do with car audio installs.. all the wires are behind a board with a hole drilled into the board for each cord that needs to come out through the board to connect to a device mounted on the board)

it might look pretty cool for a bar.. to not only show off all of the televisions, but to also show the hub that allows them all to be connected.
just like a car audio install.. people drool over the distribution block, because it proves that everything connected is kinda complicated.
some people say 'oh.. nobody needs to see that'
and other people say 'oh.. that thing should really have a fuse on each connection'

most of the time, there is a fuse on each connection.. calling it a 'fused distribution block' and the reason why it is mounted on the board is because it is a lot of work to change a fuse when it blows.

the hdmi splitter wouldnt have a fuse.. but that doesnt really mean that is no reason why you cant mount it on a wall and show it off.
you wouldnt want an angry customer to throw their drink on it though.
and that is why it is suggested to hide it.
but
i would say show the trophy of responsibility of not only your workers, but also your customers.. and put the thing on the wall with some holes drilled out.

every bar has more than one television if the place is big enough.
but none of them show their hubs or splitters.

you wouldnt want to be the embarassed one that had a customer ruin the splitter and you decide keeping it out in the open is only going to have it destroyed once again (rough bar) .. and then have a wall with a bunch of patched holes where the wires came out of.
then their friends come to the bar to laugh at the patched holes.
or
maybe somebody laughs at the patched holes because it looks like you did something wrong (or maybe the pattern is worth staring at)

where to find one.. well you probably shouldnt be looking at home theater consumer stores.
if something like this is ever available, you would need to be in the business and corporate/industrial section.
the same places that sell dedicated systems for all sorts of things like:
intercoms
video telephone systems
telephone distribution

these companies would be in the market to sell such a product.
but
given that most people wouldnt want the thing to be broken by anybody, it would probably have to come with an IR extender.
and if it does come with one, maybe the cord isnt long enough.

i really think most people will say the same thing.. 'why do we put all of these inputs on the television if you arent going to use them?!'

i know some people might say.. well if one of the inputs breaks, we can use the other one.
but
i dont know if that is necessarily true.. because if one breaks, they might all be broken if the input circuit is the same for all of 'em.

other people will say 'i dont want to put that much resistance onto the television through the input connections'
and to that some people would say 'well connecting them all is better for the television anyways'

i would say it is independant of the television as to whether it hates or enjoys all of the inputs being used.

good luck on the quest.
i dont think anybody here knows where to point you for the product.. otherwise there would have been suggestions already made.
most of us will simply say 'this is the device you need to make it work, now go hunt the internet to find one you want'

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Let's try to stay on topic please. I am not running a bar.
An HDMI matrix is a sort of switcher that takes multiple inputs and multiple outputs and can route any of the inputs to any of the outputs simultaneously. A 4x4 is only a few hundred dollars.
What I need is a way to control the dvr, blu-ray, and hopefully matrix with a single remote. It will also need to be able to work through walls (RF? IR over RF? WiFi?).

pceresia

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

Greetings,
I've had 3 flat panels , 3 digital cable boxes, a blue-ray DVD player, a Boxee and a Yamaha Sound bar working in my rec room for some time. Even with a Logitech 900 with RF extender its remote control hell. I've just discovered HDMI Matrix switchers and am considiering a 4 X 4 from HDTV Supply. The hope is that it will simplify operation somewhat. I like to watch 3 different sports programs at the same time - drives my wife nuts.
Anyway I'm having difficulty finding any design plans or setup instructions. How has your setup evolved and were you able to find any resource assistance?
Cheers, Pat
pceresia@rogers.com

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
This topic is super old, but I ended up using the iRule app for iOS devices and a Global Cache itach ip2ir. It's alright (no stability issues at least, it's 100% reliable) but a solid remote is easier to use. It's annoying to have to look down at it every time you press a button. Does have a good app for directv for browsing channels, though.

abigailcable133

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I am not sure how much you are looking to spend but the ideal solution for your application would be a 4x4 HDMI Matrix with HDBaseT support. These units come with zone remotes and a master remote. The TVS can be up to 330ft from the source. I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they offer a wide range of HDBaseT HDMI Matrix solutions ( Part # AB-5645LCM-CT).