My ASUS notebook will not charge or turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech-666

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
I have looked for a reason why but have come across the same answer, to take the battery out and go from there how ever I don't wont to, only because it will void the warranty. Is there no other way to reboot it?

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
We would like to assist you with the problem that you're experiencing, however we're going to need a lot more information than what you're providing us. Things that will help are:

1. how this problem occured
2. how long its been occuring
3. what you've done to try and repair it
4. model number, age and operating system

Why will removing the battery void the warranty? Is this an internal battery that cannot be easily replaced?

Do any LED lights illuminate when you press the power button? Do any lights come on when you plug the computer into the charger? Unfortunately, without one of us standing there in front of the computer, we need as many details as possible to fix the issue. Please help us understand exactly what is happening to the machine so we can try and repair it for you.

taa

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
I have had the same problem with my asus x550l over the past 5 days. it switched off and even when you connect the adapter the led lights don't switch on. I've tried taking the battery off and connecting the adapter to no avail. I've tried pressing the on button for 30seconds with the battery removed to no avail.
strangely enough, i tried to used it today and for 2 hours it worked normally, with the battery charging then it suddenly stopped and i haven't been able to use it since

Shania Sharma

Estimable
May 30, 2015
Unfortunately I'm going through the same problem. A few days ago my laptop (x550l) shut off and gave me a heart attack when it wouldn't respond. I waited a few hours, removed the battery (blew on it like a GameCube) and inserted it and pressed the power button, and it turned on- for about 10 minutes. After that it shut off again and still hasn't responded to anything. It doesn't seem like it's charging, the LED doesn't light up over the battery symbol. I tried holding the power button for what felt like ages, to no avail.

Trevor98

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008

Shania, what you need to do is turn off your laptop, (make sure it's also unplugged from the AC power brick), then remove the battery, THEN press the power button and hold it down for about 30 seconds. This will dissipate whatever residual charge is on the system board.

THEN plug the AC power cord back into your laptop, and turn it on with the power button. Your laptop should start right up, normally.

Once that's done, then power down the laptop again, unplug it, then re-install the battery again, then plug it back into the AC power brick, and you're good to go.

Just remember to do it this way, if this ever happens again.

The problem is, the system board ("motherboard") gets charged up with residual charge (electrostatic), and it needs to discharge it somehow. This procedure will do just that.

iba_sharif

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015

Thanks for a nice exeplation and it works for me :)

Tech Helper

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
Just as a general thing, if you ever experience issues with your computer and it is still under warranty, take it back to where you bought it to get it fixed. Because if it's still under warranty, all issues will be taken care of. If you don't want to lose data, you can find ways to fix that easy.

Feb 16, 2016

Hey, ok. So what if i take the battery out and ac adapter unplugged, and hold the power button down for 2 mins, then plug the cord back in and it STILL DOESNT power up?? i even tried different combinations or this, like holding the button down with the battery in without the ac adapter plugged in, holding the button with NO battery in but only the adapter plugged in , holding the button while both are plugged in . wtf. . man.

Heres what happened to my computer. Back in MAY 2014, the computer worked. normally , and the computer got to 0% because i hadnt charged it . whatever normal , so i just needed to plug it in right to recharge it. thats what happens to all devices at 0%. but i had left home and brought my computer with me and forgot my ac adapter. So at my friends house he gave me a duffel bag full of wires and told me to see if there were any in there that would fit into my computer hole ( or the jack? is that what its called?) anyhow so i pulled out a cord that was the same diameter plug in as the size for my jack, or ac adapter hole on the side of my computer. And i tried the cord that i had found fit my computer by plugging it into the wall unit at the other end. However the cord i found that fit my computer was NOT computer charger. it was random cord, a skinny cord with a big block at the end where the wall unit prongs were . Keep in mind tho that when i plugged this thing in, my computer was already dead and unable to be turned on. So when i plugged this cord in i tried to see if it would power my computer up, which it did not, so when i went to unplug this cord from the wall that battery pack or big black block that the prongs are attached to was very hot and it was only plugged in for a minute or two. So then, anyways, i went back home eventually and tried to charge it like normal with the normal ac adapter and it just never did anything ever again. So my laptop has been sitting in my closet for 9 months. Not turned on since. So now im trying this method of removing the battery and what not. I would have done it back when the problem first started, however i noticed that this laptop is NOT normal, since the battery pack is Not removable from the back of the laptop like most others are . So i just now have decided to research how to remove the back from INSIDE the damn thing cause i have an asus x551m . Now i know how to get into it and all that. but this removing battery thing and holding button is making NOTHING happen. No lights no fan no noise . nothing.

Feb 16, 2016

yeah great. if its the motherboard couldnt i just try to take it to like a computer parts shop and maybe find a motherboard for cheap ? this stupid ass computer asus x551m was only 2 hundred something dollars, so i dont want to spend a lot on repairing it obviously since its not even worth that much, not to mention i dont really a have the money to be spending right now anyways. Damnit. Its probably just gonna sit in my closet forever until it gets thrown into the garbage. Chalk it up as a loss. Maybe save the hard drive.

Tendai_2

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Nolan_1

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
I have a asus e402m and for some reason it wont turn on or charge no lights are on and it has an intergrated battery .... any idea how to solve this problem

Krimuico

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

Look at what Trevor98 posted and try that. I just had this exact problem with my x555l which also has an integrated battery and I followed his instructions and now it's good as new. The real hassle is disassembling your laptop to get to the battery but besides that just follow the steps exactly and it should hopefully work.

Aime38

Commendable
May 4, 2016

Some video are explaining how it works and You can use some swiss knife model with the right type of screwdriver as shown at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR6TJ1RiS9A , I applied it on the ASUS K551LN-XO551H of my daughter which turned off suddenly and could not turn on again ; the only difference for that ASUS model is that the back of the motherboard is discovered so the keyboard is remaining on the top. That's true "the real hassle is disassembling your laptop to get to the battery" and it is sufficient to disconnect the battery, not for all model to remove, it depends of the type of connexion : a simple connector allows disconnection of the battery in the ASUS K551LN-XO551H. finally it works : the PC is now turning on normally and either windows or linux are running ...

Nicole_15

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

hannon011

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
My laptop is asus x200m. I inserted a usb on on of my port and it turned of. After that it wont turn on or even charge. What do I need to do? Please help me.My battery cannot be remove because it is inside

Status
Not open for further replies.