My canon xs says memory write protected and the sd i not locked

sweetpeaches4444

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hello,

My canon xs displays "card write protected" with every card I put in my camera. I tried to format a card and "card write protected" appears. I have tried everything and nothing seems to be working. Anyone else have this problem? I live in Mexico and have no idea where I could take my camera to get looked at.

If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate so much!

G

Invest a small amount in a card reader and see what's going on via Windows -- the card may be corrupt and you may be able to recover the pix via one of the digital picture restore programs -- look on the usual freeware site (FileHippo, MajorGeeks, CNET).

mallworry

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hello i was just posting to see if you had figured out what was going on with your camera iv had the same problem its been like this for about 9 months. My story was that i bought a cheap 4gb memory card from a drugstore popped it into my camera was working then when i went to upload the pictures into my camera and put the card back into my camera went to use it and the the "Card write protected" appeared on the Display screen. I was awfully upset took it into every place i could to see if they knew what was wrong with it Nothing! Finally after 9 months i call Canon and told them about my camera they told me to do a Firmware update did it and then few minutes after my camera being off turned it back on and the message was gone i was ecstatic about it!
Canon warned me if it started to work keep an eye on it just in case the message pops up again and of course hour later i turned it on and the dang Message pops up! :( Now im just fed up with this error and sending in my camera in a couple days i aint got no warranty and its going to cost me to fix it but hopefully they can tell me the problem! ill update you letting you know if you havnt gotten yours fixed already ! :)

George T

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

George T

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

George T

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I've been having similar problems with my SD card also. I have taking my sd card in and out of my camera in hopes that, that well take care the problem with no success. I than bought a brand new sd card and after puting it in my camera, turning the camera on, thesame screen keeps poping up, "card write protected" so, I came to a conclusion that the problem was not the sd card but the camera itself and here is what I did to fix the problem for good!!!
By the way, I have a canon digital camera rebel T1i.
In the camera slot where you would put the SD card in, if you look inside, by the way, you need good liting to do these, you'll see a gold tab that sticks out a little on the side wall, this is where the knotch of the sd card would go, the side that you lock or unlock; mine was jammed in and it was not spring out the way it should so that, when you insert the sd card, these gold prong, sorry I do not know what else to call it, but these prong would not spring back so that it would touch the white plastic tab that you slide to lock or unlock on the sd card. After looking inside the slot I took a very slender cleaning rod, it looks like the one a dentist would use for cleaning teeth with, and because it has a small bent at one end, I slided it in the slot being careful not to damage anything, and pull back on these prong and it sprong out, I than put the sd card back in the camera and to my surprise, it works just fine and the camera is in good working condition once more and I can take pictures again, I hope this helps....

George T.