My Compaq laptop has a key that fell off, how do i fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastfood15

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I see on the bottom of it that it has a latch sort of mechanism, how is that used? Its not broken at all it's just fallen off and i dont see how it can go back on, no plastic is broken. I dont know if there's a website for this but a pointin the right diraction would be awsome. BTW it's the Z key, if it makes any difference.

G

If it doesn't snap back into position, then probably it is broken.

What about hot glue?

fastfood15

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Nothing is broken on the key or the keyboard socket. It looks liek it has a clamp device or something that needs to be inserted perfectly. Ill post pictures later.

fastfood15

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
naw i never did, i just live with it. My dad is going to take the laptop in to get the USB ports repaired becasue they got shoved back so now their useless. Sorry i never posted pics but the only camera i have is on my Cell and i dont want to get another 50$ bill 8O like last month. My dad has a Canon EOS 20D, i dont know how to use it but i also thought you guys would appreciate not having a 20mb photo to load to see the problem. 8)

G

if your talking about the little white things then i can help you on how to replace the keys. The small white piece goes on first, with the large end hooking under the single metal piece on the left. The other larger piece slides under the two metal pieces on the right (not sure how to describe but its the side closest to the small side of the center opening lol) Then you have to pull the small piece through the center of the big piece until the two tabs come through. Then you take the key and attach it on the right side to the end of the small white piece...then carefully push down the left side so it attaches to the left hand tabs of the big piece(make sure both sides attach)...then finally push the right side down again until it clicks twice onto the left side of the big piece. Hopefully that made sense, i had to put 90% of my keys back on after my 2 yr old got ahold of it

G

You can buy replacement keys and key retainers from individualkeys.com, that is where i got mine, its about $6 totaled shipped. My laptop is happy and my cat wont be sent to the shelter :D

G

Hey, You could replace your broken key with a new one. I know this company who i have purchased my S and M key from last month, they are reasonable and they sell the key with all the fitting which makes it easy to install. You could get your keys replaced by them too
www.laptopkey.com

aznntowl2

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Thank you for everyone coming to our old website IndividualKeys.com, We are very happy to help everyone out, I just want to update everyone that we have change to a new domain, ReplacementLaptopKeys.com, same low prices, and same great service.

Tom's Hardware Readers get 10% OFF -- Promo Code: TOM

www.ReplacementLaptopKeys.com

Fenix Uzumaki

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Thank you so much! That really helped me! :)

Fenix Uzumaki

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Thank you so much! That really helped me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.