Need a digital adapter (?!) for Time Warner Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumba-wumba

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hi everyone. Newbie here.

TWC is now requiring that every TV in my home has a digital adapter or a set-top box, if I want to watch certain channels like CNBC. Their pitch is that they're converting certain channels from analog to digital. The research I've done on this (on this site and elsewhere) seems to indicate that in fact it's to prevent people stealing cable and/or to drive additional revenue through the sales of adapters/boxes.

I called TWC and they say that I can use a 3rd-party digital adapter, however they refuse to give me any information on brands/models/functions of such an adapter. From searching around on the internet I haven't been able to figure out what exactly I need to buy. Can anyone suggest a digital adapter that would work in this scenario?

Also, I've never streamed video from my cable box before (I do rent one). This may be another option instead of getting an adapter. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on video streaming? Is the video quality up to snuff and do you get buffering/lag time issues? I basically have CNBC running all the time, so I need a robust solution.

fyi... I truly despise Time Warner (yet another money-sucking vampire squid) which is why I'm going out of my way to figure out my other options....

Many thanks for your help!

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
~Cable Company (not TWC) Employee Here~

There are multiple reasons for the requirement of set-top-boxes, the biggest one is that you can actually fit about 3 HD channels or 6 SD channels over digital networks per one channel given over analog networks, so in the long run, they can provide you with more HD channels.

I've never heard of 3rd party digital boxes being used, only some digital receivers that convert analog airwave signals into digital, but this only gives you a few channels.

Most cable companies require you to use a brand they support, as the box would have to be added into their system for it to see what channels you should have.

If you can have 3rd party boxes, I'm not surprised they wouldn't help you, as it's not something they would likely be able to "officially support".

I would do your best to find out previous boxes they have used, and you could always get one off Craigslist, (make sure it isn't stolen/is able to be added to your account), this is usually the cheapest option.

**Also, with regards to streaming, it entirely depends on the site and your internet connection. Netflix works great, but other streaming sites are ridden with pop-ups and low quality videos, and adware/spyware. But it is a good option if you hate cable companies, as a lot of people do =P

tori925

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
I spoke to TW regarding digital adapters for our tv's (we have a total of three which needs it). The technician I spoke to (Eddie) was super awesome. This call made me change my mind (a little bit) about TIme Warner (I have a long standing dislike for this company and am stuck because it's my only option where I live). He said the first year is FREE for the digital adapter, regardless of how many you request. After the first year, it's $1.50 per month, per digital adapter and does not include tax. He double checked with his supervisor that there is no option but to get the digital adapter from TW. Hope this information helps. Any ideas on how we can lower our monthly cable bill - is Direct TV a good option?

For cable companies, there is no option other than leasing a set top box from said company. Each box you connect to your cable lines requires activation by the cable company. If the cable company did not lease it to you, they are under no obligation to activate it for you, so skip past those cable boxes you see for sale on E-Bay. Most cable companies consider them stolen property.

The only way you're going to significantly reduce your monthly cable service is subscribe to a lower tiered service or "cut the cord" completely.

-Wolf sends

Marty Zigman

Estimable
May 10, 2014

Thank you for the thinking on the Ebay boxes. I was hoping just to buy a used box of the same model to save on the leasing fee. I see now how they make their money. I wish the family was willing to "cut the cord".

Thank you for the thinking on the Ebay boxes. I was hoping just to buy a used box of the same model to save on the leasing fee. I see now how they make their money. I wish the family was willing to "cut the cord".

There are options other than leasing more set top boxes, but they come with a high up front cost. Look into cablecards, HTPCs and media extenders.

-Wolf sends

Marty Zigman

Estimable
May 10, 2014
Thank you Wolf. I asked the Time Warner folks for a discount on the monthly rental and now we are down to $5/mos. At this level, it isn't worth it to me to figure out alternatives. Someday, I'll cut the cord.

Marty

AG83

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
I only have basic cable but I was able to reduce my monthly bill with $11,50 by returning the cable box and only using the digital adapter. Since the guy was so nice at TWC, I decided to just ask him if I could skip service at all if I purchased the digital adapter myself. he said I could. He told me to first set it up and see how it works with my blueray player to see Netflix and Hulu. He siad, once you know that all works together, do some homework and get the digital adapter. and that's why I'm looking around in forums, to see if other people have done so.
Apparently it isn't illegal to get basic cable without paying that ridiculous amount to TWC. Please post here if you already found out how it works.

It's not illegal to purchase your own digital adapter. So long as it meets the cable company's technical specifications, I believe they have no choice in the matter. Many years ago, I found a refurbished cable modem for sale at RadioShack for $10. I turned in my leased cable modem ($2.00/month) and Comcast activated my own cable modem. That modem paid for itself in five months and saved me over $150 over the next seven years.

The legal issue stems from purchasing a Time Warner/Comcast leased set top box off of E-Bay or other auction site. The people selling these devices do not own them. These devices are leased from the cable companies and upon the end of the contract, should be returned to the cable company. However, most people do not return them and some of the people who "inherit" them, try to make a quick buck by attempting to sell them.

-Wolf sends

Andy Mills

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014

Anyone know if perhaps it's more or less a ploy for them to find out how many tvs you have and if you end up saying you don't want the digital adapters at the time the free promotion is over, they'll have something in place by then to charge STILL after you give back the adapters? Any ideas on that one?

No, I don't think it's a ploy. I've heard from many people on these forums that have multiple TVs, but only one set top box. The other TVs are just connected straight to the wall outlet and just get the basic subscription channels. Subscribers are only required to pay for the extra set top boxes when they decide their other TVs need more than just the basic subscription channels.

-Wolf sends

conky4

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
TWC told me today that the adapters will be required or you will not get ANY channels. OUR TWC says it will be 11.50 PER adapter...umm I have like 6 tv's in my house and already pay 260 bucks a month for stupid cable...I'm not shelling out another 66!

Gonbaby

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
New HD TVs have a digital (QAM) tuner built in specifically so that an external tuner or adapter is not required. Noticed that TWC channels, which use to work, are no longer working as of approx. 1 week ago. TWC should not require use of a box or adapter!!!

Most TVs sold in the last few years have both ATSC (digital Over-The-Air) and ClearQAM (unencrypted cable) tuners. Over the past few years, cable companies have turned to encrypting all but the local broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS). All other channels that you pay for may be encrypted (Clean QAM Tuners cannot pick up encrypted channels) at the cable company's discretion and thus, require a set top box from the cable company.

-Wolf sends

jonbear

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
I don't get why I need a digital adapter if my TV already has a built in digital tuner. Funny thing is all of the HD channels works but the SD channels shows that I need to buy a digital adapter.

If I lease a digital adapter will I get all of my channels and is it going to be on HD? I'm thinking of returning my cable box and just lease a digital adapter.

Edit: Just talked to TW representative and he told me that I can get 4 digital adapter for free til 12-31-2015

The digital adapter takes the digital signal and converts it to an analog signal. Why you're not getting your SD channels is unclear, but if you're getting the HD channels, why even bother with the SD channels?

The set top box from your cable company can also convert the digital signal to analog (for TVs that only have component/composite/coaxial connections), but it also decrypts any encrypted channel you subscribe to. If you subscribe to more than just basic cable, you need a set top box from the cable company.

-Wolf sends

MYOBMYOB

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014

Go to ebay look for Cisco DTA 170HD Digital Transport Adapter w/Remote and Power Adapter.
Below is the link to pics of the different adapters TWC accepts and at the bottom of page is video on how to hook up:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/tv/topics/digital-adapters.html

MYOBMYOB

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
Go to ebay look for Cisco DTA 170HD Digital Transport Adapter w/Remote and Power Adapter.
Below is the link to pics of the different adapters TWC accepts and at the bottom of page is video on how to hook up:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/tv/topics/digital-adapters.html

BTW: TWC are just taking advantage of the fact there are no choices, obviously a monopoly.
Greedy cockroaches!! They still say I owe $135.00 for a friggan power chord. When I dropped off my equipment I brought the wrong power chord. Ridiculously egregious,

lala12345

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
I recently lost channels 4, 11 and 13

A friend of mine said all she had to do is go on her TV MENU and conduct an "AUTO CHANNEL SEARCH" and then she got all of those channels again.. only difference is that instead of 4, you have to input 4-1, etc.

I attempted it and it worked!! Theres no need to get a digital adapter or converter or even call time warner. I'm not sure if it will work on older tv's though.

This refers to Over-The-Air (OTA) digital broadcasts in your area. As I mentioned previously, most (if not all) HDTVs being sold these days include an ATSC (digital, OTA) tuner which picks up your local digital broadcasts.

This has nothing to do with any cable company and, of course, if your HDTV has a digital tuner, there is no need for a digital adapter/converter.

-Wolf sends

Status
Not open for further replies.