Need a way to play digital movies like a tv channel

rargran

Estimable
Sep 27, 2015
I have about about three terabytes of movies and television saved on an external hard drive plugged into my parent's main television. It's about as simple as a dvd player to use, but they don't use it. I need a way to make it as easy as watching cable. It has be constantly playing at random so that if they want to watch something they can just change the channel to HDM1 and there will be something playing. Any way this can be done?

Solution
Not with just the HD connected to it, maybe with a Roku connected and the HD connected to a Roku or a PC or something. Then the problem is your drives and whatever device you are using is constantly running and being used 24/7.

Now if you got a cheap Kodi box, and plugged your HD into it, and set it up right, they could navigate it very easy and it would list all the movies, show the posters, information, etc.
Not with just the HD connected to it, maybe with a Roku connected and the HD connected to a Roku or a PC or something. Then the problem is your drives and whatever device you are using is constantly running and being used 24/7.

Now if you got a cheap Kodi box, and plugged your HD into it, and set it up right, they could navigate it very easy and it would list all the movies, show the posters, information, etc.

Solution