need advice on tablet for a 13 year old. 2 budgets to choose from ...

Daniel Harvey

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
Hi,
my 12 yr old brother is asking for a tablet for his birthday in September when he will be 13. he doesn't know or want to know about what is inside the tablet he just wants to use Skype calls, probably free games, a few YouTube video's and general web browsing. he wont use 3g or anything.

Budget

this is where it gets confusing, as my parents have said that if he gets it now he can spend up to £100 (using up his birthday money in advance)
or he can wait until Christmas and get a £200 tablet (not now)

so he has been looking at this one which he likes because it has " a cool kickstand". it also has a good battery and large'ish screen for the budget.

but I have suggested, with his lack of patience in mind, this one because i think it is technically better - better cpu, more memory and I can force an update (root) onto it if he so wishes.

however I also say that he would be better waiting and taking advantage of the newer tablets later in the year.
so can someone give us some advice? or suggest a better tablet for now or for later onin the year?

thanks

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

The more storage makes the second better. 16GB goes INCREDIBLY fast, having a 16GB iPhone. If anything, waiting for later in the year will make slightly older tablets cheaper, as they are being sold off for new ones.

G

The best budget tablet in my opinon is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8", and it is under your christmas budget! (£159.99). That has 16GB and is great for what he wants it for.
I'm going to get a bit techolnological now but please bear with me.
Processor (brain of the tablet) = 1.5GHZ
RAM (Random Access Memory) = 1.5GB
Storage = 16GB
1080p Screen (high resolution)
Processor + RAM + Storage + Screen = Great tablet

It is very lightweight and thin. Alternatively, the Tab 3 has relatively the same specs and is £139.99 and is 7".

I would ask you tell your parents that they may want to reconsider thier budget as tablets at £100 are genrally very poor quality. I would spend a little more (perhaps on the Tesco Hudl). The previous gen Kindle Fire HD is £99 but I have not had any luck wth them and they have a limited range of apps (I don't think they have Skype)

Hope this helps you (and thank you for bearing with me)
AKNerd

Daniel Harvey

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

thanks for your reply, I am fine with the technical side of things (I'm 4 years older), but I appreciate your post none the less.

I agree that the Samsung sounds like a great tablet, good ram, light weight etc, I even found the 8" one at £140! here

however upon further inspection, i begin to find a flaw, it only has a duel core cpu whereas both tablets I linked to had quads plus the resolution appears to be 1280 x 800 not 1080p? is this a mistake or..?

also did you see the 2 tablets I linked to? (where it says "this" in the 2nd and 3rd paragraph in the "budget" heading)

thanks

G

G

No I didn't see it. You must be looking at a different model. It has 1080p playback and recording as well. If he's only using Skype web browsing etc.dual core is powerful enough.

G

There's a newer nexus 7 by the way by Asus bit its £100 extra. However it has Android 4.4 KitKat (the latest version of android)