Need help connecting turntable to soundbar through receiver

bigpapageek

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Hi,

We have a Sony turntable that we routed through an Insignia receiver and into a crappy speaker. We wanted to get good speakers, so we bought a sound bar, thinking we could use it for our TV as well as our turntable.

I've tried everything and think I'm connecting it right, but it's not working. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the soundbar being the problem. Is there any way to make this work, or do I have to buy new speakers? Currently I have an HDMI cord running from the receiver to the soundbar.

Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
It is very likely that the receiver will not pass audio to the TV through HDMI. It may also not pass analog into the HDMI out since it would have to convert that audio to digital.
You may be able to get sound with a different connection but it depends.
If the turntable has a built in phono preamp then you could connect it to the aux input on the sound bar directly.
If it doesn't and the receiver has a record out then that could be connected to the sound bar aux input.
It is very likely that the receiver will not pass audio to the TV through HDMI. It may also not pass analog into the HDMI out since it would have to convert that audio to digital.
You may be able to get sound with a different connection but it depends.
If the turntable has a built in phono preamp then you could connect it to the aux input on the sound bar directly.
If it doesn't and the receiver has a record out then that could be connected to the sound bar aux input.

Solution