Need help deciding on tablet pc (Lenevo vs Dell)

TheCoolest2

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hello all. I'm currently looking into buying one of the older generation tablets, the Latitude XT2, Lenevo X200 Tablet or X220 Tablet. I'm not interested in the newer ones so please don't suggest that

Now, I will be using this for online usage, (browsing), using things such as MATLAB and AutoCad, writing with the stylus and what not, skype, and maybe, maybe some flash games or something, idk.

The thing is I had the XT2 a long time ago, but it broke under certain circumstances and but, I have the original charger, the original battery, the stylus kit and the original harddrive. I don't know if any of those still work.

But the thing is I remember I had horrible experiences with N-Trig, I remember the error something along the lines of "Failure to open device" so the touch or stylus wouldn't work, not until finally I installed Windows 7 at the time. But then I broke the computer after

Now I understand The Lenevo X200 and X220 tablets use Wacom technology for their screens which is pretty good, but I believe they are bigger and more bulkier? How are they compared to the XT2, I can't find any comparisons. Has anyone had any experience with either one or both these?

Thanks!

Solution
I do not have any experience with touchscreens or stylus, however, I will offer my $0.02 for what it is worth...

I would go with Lenovo based on your experience with n-Trig. The reason is because it uses Wacom tech which has been around for a longer period of time and thus it is more mature tech. That generally means you should have less problems with it.

Newer drivers (if they exist) for the Latitude's N-Trig technology may address some of the technical issues you had in the past. But if there were some real technical issues with N-Trig's hardware, they still may exist even with updated drivers. N-Trig has improved a lot though and MS acquired N-Trig last year.

You should do a search in Youtube for reviews of the Lenovo X200 / X220...

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Might I ask why you're not interested in the new generation of tablets? I've never used the XT2, but the Lenovo X series of tablets are pretty bulky and rather clunky/slow at this point. Is there something specific you're trying to get in these lines?

Many options will get you what you list as your intended uses.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Alright, in that case I'd say probably the one between those that you get the best deal on - they all seem to have similar specs. Unless you anticipate changing out the battery, I wouldn't be swayed by the parts you have.

Before you do though, I would ask that if you live near a Best Buy, Microcener, Microsoft Store, etc you go and try out the Microsoft Surface 3 with the stylus input. They're running a special right now that drops the 128gb SSD/4gb RAM ones down to ~$450 (tack on another $200 for stylus and keyboard but still not too pricey). Stylus is great, keyboard is lit and great and they are super snappy performers. And way better battery life/more portable than what you'll see out of the options you posted. Plus if you need extra battery, they can charge off any of the higher output portable batteries.

I do not have any experience with touchscreens or stylus, however, I will offer my $0.02 for what it is worth...

I would go with Lenovo based on your experience with n-Trig. The reason is because it uses Wacom tech which has been around for a longer period of time and thus it is more mature tech. That generally means you should have less problems with it.

Newer drivers (if they exist) for the Latitude's N-Trig technology may address some of the technical issues you had in the past. But if there were some real technical issues with N-Trig's hardware, they still may exist even with updated drivers. N-Trig has improved a lot though and MS acquired N-Trig last year.

You should do a search in Youtube for reviews of the Lenovo X200 / X220 tablets.

Solution

TheCoolest2

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hello everyone, just an update. I chose a great x220 I found on ebay, great condition, looked practically new and runs well. As for the experience with the touch and digitizer, it is far superior then what I remember from the XT. Runs much better too. Thank you everyone!