neither windows nor ubuntu loading

babyleans

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Hi guys. My name is levi and my hard drive has a problem. I have both windows and ubuntu installed on my laptop's hard drive. One day i switched off my laptop and now when i switch it back on it loads up to the grub menu but when i click on windows it doesn't load. It gets stuck at the black screen with a flashing underscore. the same case with ubuntu except ubuntu loads command prompt. Today i removed the hard disk and connected it to a desktop using a USB cable. The hard disk is visible but i cant access it or its files. My question is what happened to the hard disk and how can I fix it? I put another hard drive in my laptop and it works ok. Please help me recover my hard drive. Thanks.

Solution
Depending on the OS installed on the other PC, your harddrive may be readable or not. I suggest using a PC that has Linux (Ubuntu) on it in order to access the entire disk. The disk needs to be mounted as an external drive, using a dock or an external HDD enclosure.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Depending on the OS installed on the other PC, your harddrive may be readable or not. I suggest using a PC that has Linux (Ubuntu) on it in order to access the entire disk. The disk needs to be mounted as an external drive, using a dock or an external HDD enclosure.

Solution

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
After recovering any important files off the HDD you can try to repair the OS installation (for Ubuntu and Windows) using their specific steps. That is, of course, if your HDD is deemed healthy, because if this problem occurred due to the HDD's failure (as in, hardware failure) it is not worth reinstalling the OS on it ( HDDs usually last a few years, then their mechanical components start failing); that failing HDD will never be reliable to use on a long run.

TRENDING THREADS