Netbook won't turn on

Nico Las

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Hi, hope you can help me sort out this problem. The thing is, i have an Asus Eee PC1005PEB which, the other day, suddenly turned off. I was using it while the battery was being charged. Then, I tried removing it and leaving only the power cord connected, but nothing happened. There is no sign of life, no lights on. Nothing.I didn't smell burning either.
I tested the power supply and the readings were correct(19 v with no load),disassembled the netbook, disconnected everything( Wifi, HD chord,etc) but still it wouldn't turn on.
Finally, something strange happened. I tought the DC IN jack might be the problem(the model has 4 pins soldered to the board ). While I was doing some tests, I happened to plug the power adapter and, a few times, I noticed some sparks coming from the inside of the female jack. I realised the male plug( the one coming from the power source) suffered minor burns, nothing big. Anyway, tested it again(no load) and everything was fine. I tried to measure the voltage right on the weldings that held the female jack to the board. This is what surprised me. The multimeter kept showing nothing but 0V. If i am not wrong, the 4 pins are grounded except from the positive one. May be i was measuring it on the wrong place.
I took the notebook to a repair shop. They told me ,vaguely, "the mother shorted out". I asked for more information and the only thing i got was "It is an IC problem ".No information about the model was provided.
I was wondering if the problem might have been caused by any IC on the board.
Couldn't this be a "bad welding" jack issue?
Thank you in advance :D

Solution
The motherboard did short out which caused the sparks. You must have shorted something when you disassembled it. The specific ic cant be know because now you have a burned ic and a short somewhere.. sell for parts

anything4this

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
The motherboard did short out which caused the sparks. You must have shorted something when you disassembled it. The specific ic cant be know because now you have a burned ic and a short somewhere.. sell for parts

Solution

Nico Las

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Right. That is possible, but then, what about the starting problem? I mean, the sparks and everything happened later when I was doing a few tests and connected the plug ,which I think is suspicious. Furthermore, doesn't it have a kind of protection against short circuits coming from the power source?
Thanks for your help

anything4this

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

It may have been caused by a dead IC resulting in hardware failure. Not much more to talk about because its not coming back now

Nico Las

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
All right then. Thank you all for your help.
So, to sum up, I should leave behind the idea of replacing, just in case, the DC IN jack and take it to the repair shop again, shouldn't I?

Nico Las

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
I noticed something strange yesterday. With the power cord connected , I performed a continuity test between the female jack 's positve pin and ground . The multimeter started to play beeps and then mute at constant intervals of time. This is what I find strange, because it seems like there is some component making this intermitent shorts.
I also plugged the power cord, disconnected from the adapter, to the netbook. When doing this, there is no short. The same happens when no plug is connected.
Finally, still no voltage on the DC Jack pins.