Netbooks Evolve With New Ion 2 Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobone

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Isn't the 1201PN and the 532G running the single core N450? Hyper threaded yes, but still single core. ION2 + Atom 300 = Win

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Latest netbooks are running with Intel GMA 4500 GPU which can run mmorpg and other games at decent fps. So you don't really need this exactly which make you netbook pricer and almost the same price range with your notebooks. If we are talking about desktop I think this is viable, but hello we are not.

pink315

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]pogsnet[/nom]Latest netbooks are running with Intel GMA 4500 GPU which can run mmorpg and other games at decent fps. So you don't really need this exactly which make you netbook pricer and almost the same price range with your notebooks. If we are talking about desktop I think this is viable, but hello we are not.[/citation]

The GMA 4500 still stutters at times on full 1080p content, whether or not you can get 20fps on WoW (an almost 7 year old game mind you) and think thats great is not relevant. The GMA 4500 is great for people who only type and occasionally use Hulu. The ION and ION 2 platform fill the gap and give you well rounded GPU performance.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
JohnnyLucky, the market for netbooks is huge and growing.

burnley14, in our tests with GMA4500, Ion easily outperformed, getting 2-3x the scores.

redplanet_returns, better graphics will come to netbooks, but not in terms of quality, but quantity. Todya, 95% of netbooks released have no dedicated GPU. If Ion2 is successful, that number will reverse.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'd rather a 2.5GHz 15Watt dual core, thank you (the C2D P9700 is 2.8GHz and has 6MB of cache with a TDP of 28Watts). Imagine what that C2D could do on 32nm.
How about a cherry binned 32nm dual core i5? Instead of so many of these lower wattage CPU's being low binned ones that couldn't make the cut (2.66GHz i5 and some of these LGA 1156 i7's with HT having the same wattage, for example).

I like the idea of the ION, but it needs a little more muscle yet.

If you give a full power netbook, I'd pay just as much as I would for a full powered notebook, thank you.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
[citation][nom]jamezrp[/nom]JohnnyLucky, the market for netbooks is huge and growing.burnley14, in our tests with GMA4500, Ion easily outperformed, getting 2-3x the scores. redplanet_returns, better graphics will come to netbooks, but not in terms of quality, but quantity. Todya, 95% of netbooks released have no dedicated GPU. If Ion2 is successful, that number will reverse.[/citation]

Netbooks are not designed for 1080p thats why they are below 11" in size and rarely have DVD drives, they are suppose to be handy (like PDA). If you want decent gaming and audio video platform you can have a laptop. Suppose to be light games and light videos. They are best for travels, compared to heavier laptops. You are asking your netbook to be a laptop like performance, which is M$ and Intel doesn't like it to be.

RWRamo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I also have some fuzzy vision picturing just where a netbook fits in the world. Perhaps the new wave of new materials will help it to fit into a niche. Too big to be a phone, too small to be a desktop replacement.

My 8925 HTC ( HTc currently being annoyed by Apple patent suit) IS a little small to do more than check the mail box for earth shaking collapse of civilisation type email. The insanely small qwerty board is usefull for the once a month or so pinch that must be answered immediately. Otherwise it is nice to have GPS software (tomtom6) and a quick and easy emergency access to internet for annoying crap like the current price of gold, dollar to pound, or fox news for current event conversation topics. Anything more than that really requires a kicked back surfer chair to do anyway.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i built desktop dual core atom few months ago for a niece and it worked good enough. now, i am excited for first reviews of netbooks based on pinetrail.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
With HTML5 any GPU acceleration would need to be done with the layout engine and/or what ever decoder it uses. From the looks of it, none of the major ones have gotten that far in the full implementation to begin with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_%28HTML5%29

Then there will probably be a protracted war over what codec will be standard (h264 or Theora or something else). It is likely we as stuck with Flash and Silverlight for a great long while.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Yay for ION2! I'm holding out til I can get a 11" (max) netbook for my general office work and Left4dead2.

Also, please can we stop calling 12" and bigger laptops netbooks?

shoota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]rtfm[/nom]Yay for ION2! I'm holding out til I can get a 11" (max) netbook for my general office work and Left4dead2.Also, please can we stop calling 12" and bigger laptops netbooks?[/citation]

it's called the alienware m11x. you're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.