Never before seen situation

Stephen Cotton

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hey guys. I'm currently experiencing a situation where a Windows Update Icon has appeared saying that I installed updates recently, and that there are more important updates to install. I know that I didn't install updates recently, so I opened the window.. and it takes me to a very peculiar "control panel" stating that my "recent" updates were last checked and installed on 5/18.. I immediately go to my REAL windows update and see there are no important updates to install and it was last checked yesterday. I immediately think virus.. and I went to my task manager. I can't find anything there. I went to my programs to see if anything has come up there. Nothing. I've looked online citing various keywords to see if this is an issue other's are experiencing, and the only thing that pops up is a question on whether a windows 10 update/notification is real (which apparently it is.. and no that's not the notification I'm getting.) I've ran a full scan on my computer and still nothing has shown up. Should I go into to safe mode? or does this sound more like a root-kit situation and maybe I should go back to a last known good configuration, or restore point?

WildCard999

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
I think that "update" was just the Win10 notification as I noticed the same thing the other day. I scanned with AVG, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, everything was good. *UPDATE* I also checked Task Manager and the system wasn't going over the usual amount of processes and there was no drop in performance which makes me think that its actually a legit notification and that was what is downloaded to Win Update. Clicking on the notification does bring you to a legit Windows website for Q/A about Win10.

Stephen Cotton

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

But it's not saying anything about Windows 10, and requesting updates for security protocols from 2013. It lists 3 important updates.. and my actual windows up that i access from the start menu says I have no updates.

Stephen Cotton

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

I did two different virus scans and got nothing.. updated my virus registry and still nothing. close all my browsers getting ready to restart in safe mode and as soon as I did that.. it went away. Rebooted in safe mode anyway.. scanned.. nothing came up but i've restored my browsers and workstations and it's still gone. not sure what it was.. but I wasn't clicking on anything there LOL. Thanks for the assist, regardless! Have a good one.