New GPU not coming up on Alienware

Feb 3, 2019
I have a 2013 alienware that blew the 770m GPU. I bought a GTX 980m card to replace it and now the computer will either not boot and beep, or boot without the card being recognized. I dont have an nvidia app to use to select the driver and Gforce doesnt do anything. Please help.

jojesa

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed.
In the BIOS, set the graphics mode to "adaptive", "switchable" or whatever might be in a Alienware laptop. Do not disable the Intel graphics.
When in Windows download and install the Intel graphics drivers for your laptop from Intel website. Do not use the Windows provided drivers.
Then Download and install the Nvidia graphics drivers.
In case you have old Nvidia drivers, download and run DDU in safe mode to remove them...select the Clean and restart button.

Feb 3, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from bravespats12 : "Cannot open Nvida control panel to select preferred GPU"

I got my laptop to show my new GPU in device manager, but I cannot select it over the Intel graphics. If I turn Intel graphics off, I have no graphics. The new GPU has latest drivers but nvidia control panel will not open because it says it doesnt recognize a compatible device. Any help?

jojesa

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006

You cannot turn off or disable the Intel graphics since both graphics work in tandem. The data processed by the Nvidia graphics goes thru the Intel graphics.
Read my 1st post, above, and follow those steps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 0
N Laptop Tech Support 0
F Laptop Tech Support 2
Nicktarsoft Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 5
S Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1