new laptop charger

Coltor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I need a new charger for my HP 8710w. On the bottom of it, the replacement it specifies is a 19v 6.5 amp. I want to try using an alienware charger, 19.5v 7.7 amp.

My thinking is that the alienware has a higher wattage than the original and higher amperage so it should be able to charge faster, right?

I don't mind a little risk, the faster charge (this thing maxed out the original charger) is worth it to me since I have so little time, however I don't want to fry the thing anytime soon.

Can I use the alienware charge as a replacement, if so, will it be a faster charger?

Solution
Don't do it. Laptop mobos are extremely sensitive and delicate. There may not be a problem as such initially, but it is definitely bad for your lappy's health for the long term. If you are unlucky enough, it will destroy your mobo in the first go itself.

Rit_86

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Don't do it. Laptop mobos are extremely sensitive and delicate. There may not be a problem as such initially, but it is definitely bad for your lappy's health for the long term. If you are unlucky enough, it will destroy your mobo in the first go itself.

Solution

Coltor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

This is similar to what I've been reading elsewhere.

I'm just curious:
It also has a second recommended charger (still on the bottom) 18.5v 4.74 amp. I've used that kind of charger it couldn't keep up at all in high performance mode but it worked. How would that work but the alienware not, different brands or higher amps/volts is damaging?

Rit_86

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

To answer your question, I will give you an analogy.
Suppose you have a hook in your room that is rated to hold 5 kg weight. If you are hanging exactly 5 kg, you are fully utilizing it. If you are hanging anything less than that, you are under utilizing it, but still can use it. But if you are hanging anything more than that, it may hold it, but there is a high probability that the hook will break. Get it?
A higher current/voltage is similarly risky. Though the lower rated adapter cannot supply the laptop with enough power to perform to its full potential, but it is also unlikely that it will damage your system.