New Samsung smart tv won't play audio in apps such as Netflix, Pandora, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cparker65

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV UN50J6200 (6200 series) and I have it hooked up to a slightly older home theater system (Sony DAV HDX275). I have 1 HDMI from the cable box to the tv and 1 HDMI from the Sony home theater to the tv. The audio will not work with just the HDMI hookup. I have to connect the red/white cables from the cable box to the Sony home theater or the digital optical audio cable from the home theatre to the tv.
I get audio from either hookup when I watch cable tv or a DVD but there is no audio for the smart apps such as Netflix or Pandora. I actually hear the whatever is on tv from the cable box.
The tv sound settings are set to audio out and the audio format is PCM. Do I need a converter box of some sort? I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out for the past 3 days now. I know the apps work because I can hear it through the tv speakers when I change the settings back tv speaker.

Solution
I figured out my problem. We had to connect a digital optical audio cable from the home theatre to the tv. Sound works perfect. It turned out that our home theatre wasn't too old and it's digital not analog.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from cparker65 : "New Samsung smart tv won't play audio in apps such as Netflix, Pandora, etc"

cparker65

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
I figured out my problem. We had to connect a digital optical audio cable from the home theatre to the tv. Sound works perfect. It turned out that our home theatre wasn't too old and it's digital not analog.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.